Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2003 1:37:53 PM EDT
I am a GI in Germany, and just got my new Russian MMG (dewatt) AKC-74Y. Price was $225 plus shipping ($400 for 4 dewatts, and a bunch of stock sets). Here are some pics. Notice the semi auto receiver:

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#1]
That thing is kick ass!

I thought firearms were outlawed in Germany though?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#2]
M4, these are Dewatts, demilled, inoperable. over in Deutchland, a firearm is dewatt by having the bolt face welded, and barrel welded (correct me if im wrong) and the receiver is left intact.
Stottman, what are you going to do with your dewatts when its time to pcs/ets back to the states?

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahhh man now that sucks. I didnt even pick up that he said Dewatt.

Hell if you get that back over here to the states and "lose" the gun. Who ever might find it can re-activate it easy. But we dont want that to happen
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
thats not that much money for a fun toy, some kid could have so much fun with that thing then again he would probably get his brains blown out if a cop saw him.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I get the dreaded Red X for all the pics.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Now that I can see the pics, I must say that looks like a pretty bad finish.  Either that or it's covered with cosmoline or something like it.

As far as parts you can keep, how about barrel trunnions? I think there would be a lot of interest in getting trunnions with Russian arsenal marks and serial numbers on them. I would buy one myself for when I do my Bulgy kit build (waiting for the ban thing to sunset or not sunset).  I'll bet that even if you technically weren't supposed to bring/send those back, you probably could do it anyway considering pretty much nobody except for AK enthusiasts would know what one is by itself.  Just a few years ago if you were to show me one by itself I'd be like "Ok, chunk of metal with symbols stamped into it..."
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I plan on either stripping the things for as much parts as possible, or selling them to the Germans.

In Germany you can own guns, just must get a licence. I have one, and it was a pain. They also just relaxed the law so that one can buy "assault weapons". There is a company here that sells a Bulgarian semi AKS-74U, but they want over $1000 for it.

The finish is paint over park, and just looks shiny because of the flash. Still has a good coating of grease.

The Russians go way over board for their demill process. They weld or cut the bolt, barrel, locking lugs on the trunnion, gas piston, and mag feed lips. Some also have the bolt carrier cut so it would double feed.

The trunnion is toast, and it doesnt have any factory stamps, just the serial number. Anyways, Ekie from the boards was telling me that he buys sterile trunnions in the US and then sends it off to someone to be engraved. Then he gets the exact year, serial number, etc he wants. Also allot easier.

To reactivate this one, I would need to replace the bolt, barrel, gas piston and trunnion.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I knew gun laws elsewhere in the world arnt as bad as a lot of people here believe, I spent a semester in Japan with only Airsofts to content myself with, although I think you can shoot clays at sporting clubs with o/u guns (the club's of course). I also spent a week in Beijing and saw a crap load of "privately" owned armed that were all 100% legal. Makarovs, Tokarevs, Norinco 1911s, SKS, even old Hangyang 88s and Mauser 71/84s....anyhow, my question for you, my bro in arms (WA-ANG, 19K10) is how impossible is it to come by an MKb-43(H) over there? Looks a lot like a StG44 with the gas piston extended all the way to the front sight?

Read a review on it and the shooter, a well known American small arms writer (might have been Garry James) claimed it to be the pinacle of Assault Rifle development. Machined like a swiss watch, tough as nails, with an ability to empty an entire magazine into a dinner-plate sized target at 100yds due to its in-line stock and advanced recoil system. Supposedly the soldiers who fought with it in the East considered it the MG-42 of individual weapons...I always wanted one, even if it was a DEWAT.

Regards,

Ryan

(I also shot a DShK, a number of AK varients, a Type 68, and an RPG-7V at the Beijing gun club. They had AAA guns for rent shooting something somewhere between 25-30mm, but I ran out of money by then, RPG rockets are $10/round, and I burned a LOT of 7.62x39. (What, you think Norinco was only in an export business?) Also did some hunting in Mexico and was allowed some kind of Llama .357 and a pump-action .30-06 of, I believe Taurus manufacture. The permits were many and the paperwork long, but in the end I got to shoot quite a bit.)
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]
RebelGray,

You saw privatly owned fireamrs in China? When I was there last summer that was a big NO NO! But I guess over there its all whos palms you grease.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Let me clarify a little bit- everyone I saw with a weapon in their homes was a peoples militia memember. I think they had to drill once every two months, and had to run the paperwork by their local distric commander to obtain guns and ammo outside the range. If you were a PM member however, you could open carry on your way to and from the range, and I think you could also CC a pistol (as SMGs were avaliable) with certain stamps on your permit. All the shooters I talked to said it was no bother after you had your initial stamps and the fees were reasonable.

The whole issue of arms ownership was actually debated in China after the 1989 pro-democracy rally and resulting riot. It was claimed by many in the government that the shooting was started by rogue PM members in the group of demonstraiters and the soldiers were defending themselves. Appearently even the Taiwanese and Hong Kong students I had talked to agreed that this was an entirely likely situation as most of the news from Beijing at that time coming into the West was from bleeding-heart liberal anti-Chi-Com sources with an agenda of their own.

Ultimatly big government is big government...and I didnt feel any more ill-at-ease in the PRC than I do here. Granted the glove is a little bit softer velvet in the US, the fist is still the same when dealing with the beaurocracy. IMHO China is better off now than she's ever been in her history, and her people are experiencing more freedom than ever. Many people in the US forget that China is China, not the US, and without a authoritarian beaurocracy, Civil War and mass chaos has always been the result in that land. Even Chang Kai-shek, the so-called democratic resistance in China during the civil war, was a rutheless dictator by any account.

Ultimatly if I ever had to live in a large nation other than the US, I'd probably choose to call the PRC home if I could. But that would mean the US was gone, and I'd probably end up dead a long time before that option came to pass.
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Very interesting RebelGray,

I spent most of my time in Shenyang and in north/east China. (spent a little time looking at the hills of N.Korea too)

Do you think that an America could get one of those permits to own a firearm over there? I was thinking about later getting a summer home in China for business. But I was not thinking about it anymore due not being able to own firearms, but now you tell me this  and I am wondering about it again.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 2:43:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Have not seen any Mkb-43 dewatts, even the STG-44 models are kind of rare. Before 1 April, Dewatts were not really allowed. You could own a box of all the parts, just not put them together. Before 1 April it was illegal to have anything that looked like a military weapon. There were very few dealers of these parts kits. Now that you can own a full dewatt, its starting to come out of the closet.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#13]
love to get a STG-44.
anyone know of any US legal STG-44 non-guns?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#14]
M4- I dunno, depends on how good of a communist you are. Probably not I'd guess. Of course you can only shoot at the ranges and rentals are pretty cheap ($5 for the gun I think) so....other than that just carry a knife or a short sword if you want something for SD. China is a pretty safe country unless you get into the west, where its easy to find weapons when you need them I'm told. I have friends in the PLA (I keep in touch with soldiers all over the world) including a girl from Nanjing who's job description I'm not realy sure of. Some kind of internal security force, she carries a QBZ-95 on duty (Norinco AK bullpup) and is always more than happy to talk shop with me. I online game with her husband all the time. I'll see if they're on tonight and ask about the guns.

Edited to add-

Hey straight-leg, you can still find dummy StG44s, International Military Antiques made a shitload of them in the late 90s. They went for like $700/per but were worth it in terms of quality. Only wish they realy worked. They ran out of parts like a year ago, but if you're lucky maybe you can find a dummy.

I know they're the holy grail of the airsoft world since there is an airsoft company in japan that owns original StG44 machines and turns out like ten every five years....$2,300 if I'm not mistaken last year.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Stottman,
I notice the semi type reciever and had a question about it....

Is it a true semi reciever without the cut-out in the right rail for the safety / auto-sear?

Or is it simply a full-auto reciever without the hole drilled for the safety / auto-sear?

Also is the folding stock fully functional?

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 2:22:15 AM EDT
[#16]
The semi receiver is a perfect semi-Same metal as a full auto, doesnt have a slot in the rail for the auto sear, etc ITs a shame that I cant take it back and reactivate the thing. I could be only guy on the block with a real Russian built Krink. The folding stock functions perfect.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top