Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2003 8:29:01 AM EDT
I was wondering what you all think of the life expectancy of the AK----obviously the good ones last forever, but I can't afford them, so I have an SAR-1  and a Norinco Mac-90 with that shitty thumbhole stock.  I have 1,000 plus rounds of wolf ammo, and was thinking of buying more but somebody told me not to bother because the SAR-1 would probably break before then.  I really like the AK as a medium range weapon, but don't have enough experience with it to make it my primary weapon.  I am digging this site though---any helpful info is very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:46:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:29:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The MAK-90 is a better rifle than you think. in the end. Either rifle would last you the duration of a good war.  30-40K rounds, more if you keep your rate of fire low.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:08:15 AM EDT
[#3]
my guess is that your buddy is full of crap.  Either or both rifles will likely outlive both you and your children with a very little care.  I've got about 5k through my SAR1 and its barely even broken in.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
my guess is that your buddy is full of crap.  

Good Advice right there.  No disrespect to your friend, and being a "fan" of many different rifles the assertion made by him is ludicrous.  You have to remember each of us has our opinions formed from a myriad of experiences.  Case in point- a VFW gave me about the same opinion once during a transfer I was conducting.  I chalked it up to his being shot at by them overseas.  I imagine if I had his his "prejudices" I might hold the same opinion.  Kind of like the Ford/Chevy/Panzerwagon(DaimlerChrysler) argument.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have no doubt the AK is a great weapon, but just like a lot of companies make great cars the sar-1 Being so cheap seems like the Yugo of cars----maybe it is just a great deal for a rifle---thanks for the info all---it is greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The SARs suffer from poor finish and sometimes poor construction, but the parts are to the basic military spec for hardness and such, and therefor they will run and last as well as most any AK in existance.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder how bad bumping is for a rifle such as ours then  [:\]. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sureI can bump a magazine off my SAR2 (which wont sell...may be I'm glad) faster than the standard cyclic of an AK74. And today I just discovered that I could bump my SKS-D better than any AK....and that wasnt even designed for automatic fire...in any incarnation....
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was wondering what you all think of the life expectancy of the AK----obviously the good ones last forever, but I can't afford them, so I have an SAR-1  and a Norinco Mac-90 with that shitty thumbhole stock.  I have 1,000 plus rounds of wolf ammo, and was thinking of buying more but somebody told me not to bother because the SAR-1 would probably break before then.  I really like the AK as a medium range weapon, but don't have enough experience with it to make it my primary weapon.  I am digging this site though---any helpful info is very much appreciated.

Tat2U just clean your SAR regulary,properly lube it. The bolt carrier and reciever where it slides on ( rails ) with some grease or oil .It should last you longer than youe wallet can keep ammo for it. You might wear the trigger group out ( Century equiped ) .But you can get another one ( quality made ) Gordon, RSA , Global trades , to replace it for $40 - $90 .I personally don't bump fire .If you blast away like a hell's minuet you will accelerate the throat erosion wear alittle more than slower type shooting. Now that dosen't mean I wont hip fire 5 rnds once in awhile if Im in a safe area to do so but I keep it to a minimum.Your Sars a good rifle that just needs a better trigger group normally. Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
In 3 years my SAR1 is probably closing in on 10,000 rnds. Due to plate shoots and old appliance abuse, it is probably my most shot and most overheated gun. It still gets 4" groups.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Rifles get shot far more in training than in combat.

What kills things in combat are external abuse such as being used as pry bars and hammers.  Bullets in the reciever and other such insult.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:19:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I took 2 AKM's made in 1960 out that looked as though they had been dragged behind a truck and fired 2000 rounds through them and they worked ok the ammo sucked though. As for durability the gun can take most of the worst abuse humans can dish out and still work fine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 12:13:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sureI can bump a magazine off my SAR2 (which wont sell...may be I'm glad) faster than the standard cyclic of an AK74.

Its actually imposible to bump fire FASTER than the cyclic rate. You MIGHT be able to bump at the SAME rate though (but i would be MOST impressed)
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#14]
friend in navy saw demo of viet era AK47 with a reciever that was rusted through both sides still shooting!1oo million customers tells me something.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#15]
tat2u....look up choate and get you a new stock for that mak...you will love it...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top