Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/4/2003 5:24:32 PM EDT
Forgive me for asking a question that I'm sure has been asked before, but:

Having just seen the thread about camo-painting a rifle, I saw the urban-camo Krink with folding stock.

So, here's the first question:  What can I do to legally get a Krink with a folding stock?  Am I limited to Pre-bans only, or is there a procedure to follow to put a folding stock set on it?

Second question:  Short-Barreled Rifles - Can someone point me to a good reference on the procedure to follow to legally own/register one of these?  After my 74's get built, I'm thinking that a Krink would go nicely with my collection.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Before doing anything, I advise you to check your state laws and maybe more importantly which local law enforcement will sign off.  (Probably you already have and if so there are many here to answer your questions.)
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Oregon is a fully-equipped Class III state- I used to do re-enactments down there and carried a very nice MG-42 for a lot of them.

SBRs are completely registerable and, I believe, do not have to conform to AW rules, however check on that as I'm not positive. One of the reasons I'm considering looking at moving OUT of Washington...
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]
RebelGray,

Try this link www.titleii.com/. It uses Acrobat Reader and you can fill out the forms on line and print.

As for the folding stock, you could weld a mag or drum to the receiver. It will no longer have a "detatchable" magazine. This will give you room for one more evil feature, the folding stock.

Mike

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Forgive my lack of timely follow-up.

I just lost a link to a page somewhere that explained about SBR's and how they applied (or didn't apply) to the AW ban.

Anyone got anymore information on this, or a link?

Thanks for the help!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:19:39 PM EDT
[#5]
All the pre-ban/post-ban rules apply to SBR's. Machine guns play by thier own set of rules.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 2:19:59 PM EDT
[#6]
If it's a post ban receiver then all AWB rules apply.  You can register it as an SBR but you cannot have a folding stock unless you remove one of it's "evil" features.  If it's pre ban then obviously the AWB rules don't apply.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Hrmm...

What can I purchase in a 5.45 pre-ban in order to have a Krink with a side-folder?

If I can't, I suppose it's really not a big deal - I can get a fixed-stock BulgyKrink, but...
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What can I purchase in a 5.45 pre-ban in order to have a Krink with a side-folder?

I believe the easiest pre-ban receiver to convert to 5.45 would be the .223 receiver, such as the Norinco 84S. That way the mag well wont need modifications.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Apologies for rehashing this subject again, but, I'm curious about this - I'm hearing/seeing information that states that once you have your rifle registerd as an SBR, it's now considered an NFA weapon and no longer an assault weapon, therefore not pursuant to the '94 AWB.

As such, this would seem to indicate that you may have more than two "evil" features on this weapon (Pistol grip, folding stock, high-cap magazines, etc.).

Is there some kind of official source that clarifies this somewhere, or do I need to write a letter to the tech branch of the ATF?

I don't mean to imply that you folks don't know what you're talking about, but even here, it seems, there are conflicting opinions/ideas about how this all translates.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 11:06:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump to top.

Looks like I'll have to write a letter
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

As for the folding stock, you could weld a mag or drum to the receiver. It will no longer have a "detatchable" magazine. This will give you room for one more evil feature, the folding stock.

Actually, if you did that you could have all the evil features you want.  The best way I've heard it put was this:

"A rifle must be semi-automatic and have a datachable magazine in order to be given further scrutiny under the AWB"

I don't know who said that; someone on these boards, but I it sums it up the best as far as I'm concerned.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top