Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/4/2003 4:22:52 PM EDT
Looking for some informed opinions.
To mount a red dot sight on an AK74, would you prefer the side rail mount or that gizmo that replaces the gas tube? I'm assuming that the AK47 gas tube gizmo will work on a 74.
Second item: I understand that Wolf ammo is fine for plinking. However, if I'm up against something more formidable than a sheet of paper or a pop can, I'd prefer ammo with a little more authority to it. Suggestions?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
As I don't have any experience firing a 5.45x39 rifle (my 74's aren't built yet), I can't say that the Wolf 5.45 will work well, but, having gone shooting today, and blowing through a few hundred rounds of Wolf 7.62 in my RPK and 47, I can tell you that the Wolf in 7.62 will blow through 1/4" thick steel plating quite nicely from 50 yards or so...
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Wolf is fine for plinking or social engagements.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the  UltiMAK  scope rail on my SAR-1 and I prefer it over the side rail mount.  My reason being the ability to see the iron sights through the scope if something happens.  This does depend on the scope used as some sit to high.  I'm planning on getting an Aimpoint to put on.  I did have an old Tasco Red Dot, but I hate it.  According to the website it will work with the 5.45 AKs, but some may need a shim.  I will recommend some LocTite of some sort on the screws.  Mine kept coming loose the first time out with it.  Here's the rail on my SAR-1...

http://m3877.velocitydesign.net/06.jpg

As far as the ammo I'd agree and say Wolf is more than adequate.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the Kobra setup on the siderail.
1. It is easily removable if anything should happen to the optic so you can use the iron sights, and then you can use irons without the optic in the way at all.

2. the Ultimak is designed around the 7.62 barrel diameter.  They offer shims for the 5.45, but everyone that I've heard comment on them says that it doesn't fit too well on the 5.45

3. The Optimak puts the optic right over the barrel, which gets very HOT during rapid fire.  When metal heats up, it expands.  barrel heats up, causing gas tube to heat up, causing Optimak mount to heat up, causing mount screws to heat up.  When the gun cools, the mount is loose.  

Buy a Kobra from Tantal.  You'll be as happy as a Campybob with a lifetime supply of Kalashnikitty shirts.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input, guys. As you can probably tell, I'm new (just getting back into after ten years) to AK's and, being in the process of buying a Bulgy 74 from Me223, I need to get back up to speed fast.
I've been using AR's pretty much exclusively for the past decade for close-up engagement tools. As development time and accessory acqusition went on, I one day realized that I was carrying a ten pound weapon that shoots .22 bullets. Methinks it's time to recalibrate my view of what constitutes a practical battle rifle.
As to Wolf ammo: The stuff is notoriously inaccurate in AR's. Does the same hold true for Kalashnikovs?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Wolf and Barnaul are hit and miss in terms of accuracy.  This is not match ammo and it is not a match rifle.  You want kickass accuracy?  Buy a 20 inch VEPR in .223 and buy Black Hills - you'll find it every bit as accurate as an AR.  If you want good accuracy, reliability and cheap then run Wolf or Barnaul from a well assemvled 74 (one from Me223 will fit this bill).  You want better accuracy?  They make 5.45 target/hunting ammo that should prove more accurate.  Remember, you are paying between $75 and $100 for Wolf or Barnaul depending on the calibre, you are not buying match ammo at that price.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you really say "Wolf and Barnaul are hit or miss in terms of accuracy."?
Just kidding.
I do appreciate all the input.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
My AR gets steady 1" groups on Swiss GP90 or Black Hills, but slips out to 2-2 1/2" with Wolf/Barnaul (occasional flyers from both). Also rested and mildly scoped, my SAR2 gets 2 1/2-3" groups and my Bulgy 74 kit build gets 2- 2 1/2" groups of 5 at 100yds. Both AKs also enjoy RSA triggers, and mild preference for Barnaul FMJ in 5.45.
The basic 74 is about a pound more than a similar AR, but is so darned simple and abusable that it is the best tool for 10 cent ammo by far.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Both AKs also enjoy RSA triggers, and mild preference for Barnaul FMJ in 5.45.

That RSA trigger is something else I need to consider. Is it about as easy/difficult to install as the JP or Accuracy Speaks trigger groups in the AR?

Thanks again to all for your help.

SD
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Easy depends on how well you get along with the Shepard's hook (it gets easier every time). Darned easy with the $12 retainer plate option a la FAL.
True drop in as delivered, read the book and turn the allens to suit. You can NOT get an AR trigger this good or this versatile for under $100.

First impression "That's 1/3 of what I paid for my SAR!"
Second impression " What a f*&cking great bargain!"
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:54:11 PM EDT
[#12]
True drop in as delivered, read the book and turn the allens to suit. You can NOT get an AR trigger this good or this versatile for under $100.

Thanks, guy. That's what I was hoping to hear.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top