Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 6:24:36 PM EDT
O.K. technophiles, how do I get my HI8 video into digital format on my PC?

I assume that there is some kind of mixing box and some software?

I don't want to spend a lot on doing this, it's ammo buying season.

Thanks.
Mario_FAMOInc
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I wanted to be able to do the same thing so I purchased a device called the Dazzle Digital Video Creator. Once I installed the software, I simply hooked a cable from the Dazzle into my PC. Video cable goes from my VCR or video camera into the dazzle device.

Once everything is hooked up, I just open the Dazzle software and start uploading to the PC. This is not the highest quality stuff in the world but it is acceptable to me for my uses. I am sure others can point out alternative (and probably better) ways of converting video but this is one route. This is what I will be using to put the Bulletfest CDs together again this year.

My Dazzle is 2 or 3 years old now so I am sure they have made some improvements. Here is a link for more information (page loads slow)www.dazzle.com/main.html
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 7:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Lumpy223,
I went to the website and checked it out.
It looks promising...
Mario_FAMOInc
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a CD/CDRW recorder called "Terapin" from Sam's club for $200.  You can dump any type of video into it and you can add music to it after you lay the tracks down but before you finalize recording.  I'm still learning about it, but the finished CDs play on my DVD player, my desktop computer CD player, and my laptop DVD.  

It's given me an economical way to preserve some aging video tapes that are important, so I'm happy.

Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I already have a CD burner, will that software allow me to just burn from my camcorder to my PC & burner via my USB port?
Mario
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 2:38:22 AM EDT
[#5]
The ADVC-100 converter is the one that gets the best reviews on the news groups.  

http://www.canopus.com/US/products/advc-100/pm_advc-100.asp

This is the one I will be getting soon.

Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 5:49:13 PM EDT
[#7]
labrat454,
I read the promo and it sounds like a nice unit but it said to "use your favorite program" to manipulate and edit the final product.  At the price I would hope that it had some software with it beside the driver disk.

CAMPYBOB,
I haven't even reviewed my tape yet from the shoot.  It is still in the camera all cued up for the little get together that Shaggy and I are going to meet at this weekend.  I'll try to get the BulletFfest part onto VHS early this coming week.

Thanks.
Mario
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#8]
CAMPYBOB,

I reviewed the video last night and it looks like there is some usable video in there.  I will get it taped in VHS format and send it on.

DISCLAIMER:  Although in places it appears that I was using the camcorder in a "juggling act" during the shoot I actually was not.

Mario
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top