Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/30/2003 10:02:39 PM EDT
So...Ive got as little money to spend and thought id enhance(Sounds better when you say "enhance") my collection with an AK variant...After learning that the Vulcan Galil clones are junk and a good one is 2k I belive ill fall back to plan B, An AK-74 clone...Looked at a few SAR-2's and out of the box they do not meet my standard's.....I dont mind "tinkering" with stock sets or other things to suit my wants and dont mind refinishing the metal as i have a buddy who duracoats...Mainly looking for a sound rifle with room to grow.....Anyway what do you guys recommend in the 500-700$ range..........Thanks, UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 1:14:20 AM EDT
[#1]
In that price range you might consider a Bulgy Ak-74 kit from K-VAR, adding an OOW receiver, and having someone like InRange or Ohio Rapid fire build it for you.  

That way you can have a custom rifle built the way you want, and it will be far better than the SAR.  

I will say that I have several Romy 74's, and I like all of them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Underdog, Me223 has two 74's built on OOW receivers with Bulgie kits listed in the EE for $600 each.  In my opinion that is a fucking steal and there is no wait.  Believe me, waiting for my 74 from Troy at Inrange was pure torture, but well worth the pain.  Even better when you can get a very similar gun at a great price right NOW!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:40:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I saw many examples of ME223s work at BFest on his tables. Darned good, and fair price, just get one. My Bulgy 74 kit build is now my favorite gun (out of 12 calibers..), but I have no regrets about my SAR2 either.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Underdog, Me223 has two 74's built on OOW receivers with Bulgie kits listed in the EE for $600 each.  In my opinion that's a fucking steal and there is no wait.

Agreed and I bet me223 would put the K-Var furniture of your choice on those AK's.  Underdog, you may have better taste than the rest of us and like the wood furniture !
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

for more money, marc krebs will fill up your safe, too.

There's an AK-103K Krebs gun for sale on the Sturm board - 96% and asking $675.  Bet it could be bought for $650 shipped and maybe less.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, Yeah as a matter of fact i do like the wood....But all the wood sets ive used are too short, A buddy has a Chinese stock set on his SAR1 that i love the looks of but i cant get a proper cheek weld without the rifle busting my nose on recoil.....What about .223 AK's???  It be nice an simplify my ammo purchases to just a couple calibers.....Thanks agian..............UNDERDOG
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 4:13:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I like wood too, but the poly with metal heat sheild in the hand guard does work best IMO.

For stock length, Tapco sells a good 1" rubber extension pad for $7.  

For .223 AKs new, SAR3 (has nicer Bulgy bbl but still SARness that may need customizing), VEPR in 16" or 20", get a Bulgy .223 kit from KVAR for $429 and build, or wait for the announced SAM5 series to actually hit the stores.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to agree with obershutze916, buy a parts kit from K-var, and get the necessary US parts, and a OOW and have a competent gunsmith build you a 74. I  read about folks buying SARs, and then spend more money to refinish them, and the wood, or buying another wood furniture, adding muzzle breaks, fixing canted sights, gas blocks etc...

for the amount they put in trying to make a monkey made commercial AK look decent....you could have built one from a de-milled geniune military 74 that will look 1,000 percent better then any commercial made one.

I had MAGNUM GUNSMITHING build my 74 from a K-var kit.....and it is sweet, didn't have spend another penny on it after I got it. Glen does qulaity work on all his builds, I would highly recommend him to anybody.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top