Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2003 11:36:35 AM EDT
I'm going to be in the market for a postban AK soon and can't decide which I should get. A SAR-1 or Global Trade SSR-74-2. I'd like to get an AK-74 to have something different than a the preban AKs I have now but the cost will be more than a SAR and I've read some bad things (not specifically about Global Trades AKs) about the durability of some postban AK receivers (like they start bending after 1-2000 rounds). Is any of this true about the Arsenal guns Global Trades sells? The plus for the SAR-1 is it will be cheaper and I already have tons of mags that will work in it. I have the same concerns about receiver life though. Also I've read that some parts are sized different in the SAR's like firing pins and bolts making replacements tricky to find. Anyone know the scoop on these AKs?

I like the more original "look" of the Global Trades rifles but the $200+ price difference makes pause.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If you get a Global rifle with the FEG receiver you will be very happy. The problems I have heard of were with the U.S. made recivers.
You mentioned two different caliber rifles, the SSR74 is 5.45 and a SAR 1 is 7.62, The SAR2 is in 5.45.
If I could get a Global SSR74 with a FEG reciver I'd buy one ASAP !!  My SSR85B is one of the nicest AK's I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I know they are two different calibers.  The way the SAR-1 looks is close enough to original I would just add a spoon compensator to finish the look I like for an AK-47.  Plus I have a lot of magazines already for it.  The SAR-2 doesn't look right to me.  I would want a different gas tube (90deg) and to add a 74 compensator.  The added costs to get this done would make it worth it just buy a kit, receiver, and extra parts to have one put together the way I want one.  Depending on the cost of the SSR-74 it potentially would cost less than having one built plus Global seems to stand behind their work and fix any problems that might creep up.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
btt
Need more input please.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top