Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/22/2003 9:51:43 AM EDT
Here's what I'm sure is another question that's been asked several times, but here goes:

As long as I use 5-6 US parts, is it legit to put a pistol-grip on my MAK-90 or my NHM-91?

I originally bought the things because they DIDN'T have the thumbhole stock, and dug the Dragunov-style "Fiberforce" and Choate stock on them, but now, I'm getting tired of them stocks on them.

The forearm is a pain in the ass, with the two screws that take a year to remove.

I think I've got a line on a black synthetic RPK stock for the NHM-91, and I'm looking for a black synthetic stock for the MAK-90.

Can I do this?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I originally bought the things because they DIDN'T have the thumbhole stock, and dug the Dragunov-style "Fiberforce" and Choate stock on them, but now, I'm getting tired of them stocks on them.

Can I do this?

WTF? Both of those items came new with thumbhole stocks.

If you think you can fool the ARFcom bunch, that's fine. It's not us you have to worry about.

Throw enough US parts in there and you might be OK.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I'm quite aware that both of these came new with thumbhole stocks.

I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking that they didn't.

As I said, I bought them because they didn't have the thumbhole stocks on them - apparently, the previous owners thought that the thumbhole "sporter" stocks sucked about as much arse as I do.

My MAK-90 has a Fiberforce Dragunov style stock on it, and my NHM-91 has a Choate Dragunov style stock on it.

When I bought the guns via Guns America, I pointedly purchased these specific guns because, again, they DIDN'T have the wooden thumbhole stocks (for example, see: www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976359861.htm.  I don't like wooden stocks, because I have a habit of damaging things like them - scuffs, scratches, dings, etc.  I like synthetic for exactly the same purposes.  I've fired a MAK-90 with the thumbhole stock, and I didn't care for it - while I've grown tired of Dragunov stocks, I like the thumbholes even less.

As these are sporter stocks, I've been assured by several people that I'm in the clear with these stocks - they aren't pistol grip stocks.

I'd like to find some synthetic pistol grip stocks for these things, and convert them - I just wanted to make sure that all I needed to do is get the 5/6 US parts - I asked, because I seemed to remember something about potentially NOT being able to do this to MAK-90's or something - they wouldn't be legal, even with the US parts.

Out of curiosity, why would I be trying to fool anybody?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:17:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Alrighty, cool.

On that note, anyone know where I can obtain a synthetic pistol-grip stock set for my MAK-90?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Alrighty, cool.

On that note, anyone know where I can obtain a synthetic pistol-grip stock set for my MAK-90?

www.K-Varcorp.com
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Alrighty, so I'm looking at:

www.k-varcorp.com/stock2.html

Does my MAK-90 have a milled or stamped receiver?

As it doesn't have a threaded barrel or a muzzle attachment, I only need 5 parts.

FCG, Pistol Grip, Gas Piston, and I can then use the Bulgarian furniture, yeah?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 3:03:41 AM EDT
[#7]
The MAK-90 has a stamped receiver.  I'm looking at doing this with mine, too.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top