Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2003 4:57:54 PM EDT
I'm sure I've asked this before, but I can't find the responses, so I'm going to ask a barrage of questions again.

First off, I'm going to be purchasing optics from Tantal soon.  What do you folks believe to be the best Kobra sight, and the best side-rail that he offers?

Next, my OOW receivers have arrived, and I'm going to be taking all my parts to the gunsmith this week.

I have the following US-manufactured parts:

Pistol Grip (Hesse/Joeken)
Forearm (Hesse/Joeken)
Gas Piston (both Krebs Custom and Hesse/Joeken)
Trigger Group (both RSA and Hesse/Joeken)
Muzzle Brake (Hesse/Joeken)

This makes for a total of 7 US parts.

Am I correct in remembering that I only need 5 parts to make the gun legal?

I will definately be using the RSA trigger groups and the Hesse/Joeken pistol grips.

Being that the Hesse/Joeken forearms that I received don't have the cleaning rod hole drilled in them, I'm going to stick with the Bulgarian forearm.  This leaves it at a toss-up between the Gas Pistons and the Muzzle Brakes.

I'm leaning towards using the Gas Pistons, and having the Bulgarian brake pinned.

Are there any other US parts that I haven't listed (besides buttstock) that I could swap in?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a total of 6 US parts if you use the original brake. The trigger group(3), receiver(1), pistol grip(1) and the gas piston(1) are the norm for a total of 6 US parts.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Doh, forgot about the receiver!

Why is it that you have to have 6 parts if you use the original brake?
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
The brakes are one of the parts on the ATF no no parts count. With the 74's unless you get rid of the threads, you're kinda stuck. Rotdorn explains it best here www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=93&t=55169

Mike
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Excellent, thank you very much!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
if you're going to have a 74 built......the gas piston for a AKM is going to be longer then a 74. they may look the same, but if you place them side by side the 74 is shorter.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top