Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/14/2003 11:58:02 AM EDT
Well, after spending 3 days packing up guns, bullets, powder,etc. and driving the 900 miles (twice) to Oklahoma (I'm moving in 2 weeks)I had to burn a little powder.  Also there's the little problem I have which REQUIRES that I modify (screw with) every new gun I get.  Tough to do with the sam 7 since its very nice out of the box, but I decided I needed a Kobra sidemount scope.  I debated jsut selling the sam 7 and getting the sam 7S but $80-90 more for a side mount seemed a bit much (and I'm a cheap bastard!)  So I ordered a powder coated mount and Kobra from Tantal.  Great service and very prompt shipping by the way.  This guy will be getting more of my $$.

Only problem:  

THe instructions were clear, however if I would have used the specified 'milled' reciever positioning directions the mount would have not been centered over the trigger pin hole - so I used the dimensions for the 'stamped' receiver.  I drilled my two holes after repeated measuring and drilling smaller pilot holes.  Mount bolted up nicely. Degreased the screws, loctite applied and the screws were then peened over (I hate it when stuff comes loose)

The range:

I needed 1 click of elevation and 2 of lefet windage and bingo, I was on at 100yd.  Group size, off the bench with Barnaul HP = 1.5 to 2 inches for 5 shoots.  I the removed the scope, relieved myself in a bush and remounted the scope.  The point of impact shifted 0.25 inches down.  Again, removed the scope, drank more mountain dew (bladder already empty) and remounted scope.  No shift in pint of impact.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with this set up.  Trigger could stand a little touch up, but its so above average for an AK that its hard to complain.  Controls on the Kobra were easy to manipulate and worked as advertised.  I did the move the knobs around and found the point of impoact to return to where I started.  No complaints.

Pictures:  (Sorry about the quality)

Overall
us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3c23d3a4/bc/ak+pics/__hr_sam7.1.jpg?bc9r36.AJTz3isXz
Kobra mounted
us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3c23d3a4/bc/ak+pics/sam7.2.kobracloseup.jpg?bc9r36.ArapxXe9I
Closeup of Tantal's mount
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3c23d3a4/bc/ak+pics/sam7.mountcloseup.jpg?bct.36.ApAtIIxWC

Damn, yahoo really irritates me with their picture crap.  Here's the link to the album photos.yahoo.com/bc/gunslingerdoc/lst?.dir=/ak+pics&.view=t. Try this one and let me know if it doesnt work.  P.S.  The sam 7 is shown in the last 3 pictures
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
linky no worky!!

The Pig.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics don't seem to work for me, but it sounds like the Kobra is a good investment.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in Oklahoma are you moving to?
Well I assume your moving here and not from here by the state under your screen name. Will you be able to make the shoot in El Reno next weekend?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm moving to Mcalester.  I wont get there until the last week in June, so the El Reno shoot is out.  Definitely the next time though.  Hell, I have to find a place to shoot around Mcalester.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to Oklahoma.

Maybe you could join us in July for a shoot.
I have thought about a rail from tantal for my sa-m7, I would very much like to see how your rail looks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Try the photo album link at the bottom of the original post for pics.  Hopefully this will work.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks good. Damn Ive got to order one now. How hard was it to install? Did you do it with regular shop tools?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:12:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Tantals instructions are good.  Only prob I had was that the part of the instructions giving the location for drilling the holes for a milled receiver would not have worked on my sam 7.  The position I used was the one specified for the stamped receiver and everything went fine.

I used a vise and a cordless drill (because I was too lazy to strip everything down and mount it in my drill press).  It took about 10-15 minutes to get the mount installed including removing the FC parts, etc..  Now getting the Shepards hook back in was a stone cold bitch.  So I might consider ordering one of the Red star plates and replacing the damn thing if I had to do it again.

I'll definitely be ready for some blasting in July after a move with 3 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats and way too much crap!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By 4gma

I'll definitely be ready for some blasting in July after a move with 3 kids, 2 dogs, 2 cats and way too much crap!

Better you than me. Well good luck with the move. If you dont mind me asking why in the hell would you move to Oklahoma? Not that it's that bad here but it's just Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:27:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I guess the fact that I was partnered with 2 people - a dyke and a fag that first stold $$ from me and then the fag decided that he really would rather do drugs and drink himself to oblivian (sp) rather than take good care of our patients definitly had something to do with it.  I think the final straw came when he kept offering to show me his latest penis 'jewelry'.  Really said thing is that everyone knows he has a problem but since he chairs the committee that gets rid of bad docs - his job is safe (at least for now)

Also there are too many docs here and the reinbursement from TN's medicaid doesnt even cover my malpractice for a delivery.

Good thing is that I am joining a group of guys (straight) that trained the same place I did and have strong work ethics.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok........... thats a very good reason to get  out.

Damn fags. What kind of Doc are you?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top