Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/12/2003 8:32:50 AM EDT
Hey guys, I think that I have found my favorite website. I have built and owned a number of ARs but never an AK and just reading these forums has given me the itch. My first question is about the fit and finish of the SAR series that most people on this forum praise. Do they seem to be well made? Are they in the least bit accurate? I don't expect match accuracy however I would like to be able to destroy evil bottles and cans at say 50 yards. I would appreciate any information and advice that anyone has.

Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Fit and finish is better than the old Egyptian MAADIs that were finished with whatever the Arab equivalent of Krylon is, by someone who didnt know to sand and file the rough edges first...but its still lacking in comparison to some of the early 90s MAK90s. As a matter of fact I'm planning on treating my SAR1 when I get it, to a Polytech chrome bolt and carrier + stock & handguards....oops, you didnt see me say that (not a "US part", what a farce). Anyhow, my SAR-2 in 5.45 will "explode" a smallish potato at 100m if I'm shooting from the prone or any supported position. Of course the sights arnt that great, most folks who want a better degree of accuracy put a RSA peep sight on them, and I know you can get a smaller front post. I just stuck with the PSO-2 6x42 scope that she was intended for and get accuracy on par with most AR "plinkers". You also wouldnt hurt for use of a RSA adjustable trigger (makes bump firing easier so I've been told) and a nice new stock set. Something black or green from K-Var or AA-OK
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
SAR QC is better by far than the 1999-2000 production, but I still suggest a hand pick if at all possible.
Generic good AK accuracy at 100yds with 4x scope for 5 shots is: 4" in 7.62x39, 2 1/2" in 5.45x39 and 2" in 5.56x45. Yours will vary, but a smallbore AK is not at all far behind a basic AR when using cheap blasting ammo.
For the Ronco Masher Smasher, it is hard to beat the $300 SAR1 in 7.62 with 7 cent ammo.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top