Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/10/2003 7:46:27 PM EDT
Alright in a couple weeks I will be picking up a spotting scope. Again I will like to research the field a bit. Can you point me in the right direction and maybe a forums page where people talk about them.

What would you recommend for around the 100$ range? Nothing fancy just something that allows me to see my shots at 100-200meters. All I shoot is a Ar15 and AK47.

Where should I look?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I would  suggest saving your money until you can afford a decent one. I learned the hard way that going cheap on optics just costs you more in the long run. Better figger on 300-400 bucks at the cheapest.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Sibir Optics Inc - Yukon
20-50x50mm w/ stand  89$.

www.sibiroptics.com/eng/f_catalog.htm

I just need to see the target that is ALL. I have used some old school binoculars that would work fine but had to hold them. I am sure something on a stand with more power would be just fine. Its just to see holes in paper at 100-200m.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have this scope and it is fine to 200 yrds but that is it. It also has very short eye relief, like your eyelashes will be brushing the lens.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
So a 50x50mm is good for 200yds

What will a 100x be good out to?

Please any links or good brands that are on closeout or just a good price, let me know.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#5]
eno45,
Go with that 20-50x50mm Sibr Yukon scope.  I have the exact same one that I bought 2yrs ago and couldn't be happier.  I bought it for the same exact reasons you did.  Just get a good tripod for it because the one it comes with is absolute shit.  For the money you can't go wrong.  If you want to spend $300-$400 dollars on a so called "good one" then do it but if all you're using it for is what you say then you're throwing hundreds of dollars down the drain.  Besides it's Russian made and goes good with an AK right?  I've received several comments on my scope and when I tell people it only cost me $75 they first shit themselves and then ask where I got it so they can get one for themselves.  Good Luck!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:14:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I would look at cabela's they always have a deal where you get a spotting scope, case and tripod.

brad
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a YUKON by SIBIR OPTICS....and I have to tell you it's the best scope out there IMO. very compact and light, the only thing is the eye relief.....but you aren't going to mounting it on your rifle so that isn't a issue. 89 bucks is the best price I have seen for these.

http://www.nightvisionstore.com/other.html
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Well looks like I was out voted on this one. If you can see the .223 bulletholes at 200 with the Sybirs - get it. I tried one once, I think it was a sybir, it was russian I know, and I had trouble seeing the holes with it, can't exactly remember at what distance. My eyes ain't the best in the world. But, for me anyway I don't cut corners on optics.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone for your input, you too bulletslap. I am going to go with the yukon on Friday mourning, do you guys know who has good fast shipping?  FAC has them for 89$ and so does that nightvison site you gave me. Any recommendations? If not I will just order through FAC since I got my AK from them. THanks for your help.

Hey if I don't get the tripod that comes with the scope then what should I get? Its only 20$ cheaper to get it without. Links. I am ordering Friday, save me from the crap tripod. :)
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought a couple scopes from nightvision and was very impressed with how fast their shipping was.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]
A fella I trust and respect in weapons/gear recommended the Leupold Wind River Sequoia that he could get me for 199$. He is making no profit off them and believes the 110$ difference in price is worth it if I am going to be shooting @ 200m. It will be 200m or less for the most part, the Yukon is 20-50x50mm and the Leupold is 15-45x60mm, do you really see the Leupold really making a 110$ difference?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Man, that Yukon scope is a hell of a deal if it can see .223 holes at 200yds.  I'm looking for a spotting scope so I can get back into hipower shooting.  I bout a cheap Simmons scope, and it completely sucks ass.  And, I'm tired of bumming a scope from the guy that shoots directly before me.  Anyone know if that Yukon can see .223 in the black at 200yds?  Thanks!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top