Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2003 7:30:05 AM EDT
Hey guys a quick question. A friend of mine wants to take the bayo lug off of his sks. Now it looks like it is on a sleeve that slides over the barrel and is pinned on. I told him to just grind off the lug but if he can get rid of the front sight he wants to do that too as he plans to scope the gun(don't ask why he wants to do this crap, I didn't even bother asking. He just does weird shit with his guns). I  don't really know squat about the SKS so i thought i ask some people who do. I wish i had more info for you as far as country it was built in but i don't have that info. any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Tell him to grind off the SKS and keep the lug
(joke)
Any gunsmith can install a Non lug FSB
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC the SKS front sight assembily is very similar to the AK setup. It is indeed just a sleev. If he makes two cuts leignth wise through the sleeve with a dremil cutoff wheel, one on either side, it aught to just fall off. Just tell him to be careful not to cut too deeply and gouge the barrel.

Some years ago one of the big advertisers in Shotgun News sold some SKS accessories, and posted a pic of a scoped SKS w/the front sight removed and a muzzle break. After seeing that I bought a cheap Romanian SKS and did the mod myself. It actually turned out very nice- wish I had a good pic of it, but my sis being the SKS nut of the family, got into my safe one day and I came home to find $250 in place of my rifle. On well. She shoots it more than I did.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
IIRC the SKS front sight assembily is very similar to the AK setup. It is indeed just a sleev. If he makes two cuts leignth wise through the sleeve with a dremil cutoff wheel, one on either side, it aught to just fall off. Just tell him to be careful not to cut too deeply and gouge the barrel.

Some years ago one of the big advertisers in Shotgun News sold some SKS accessories, and posted a pic of a scoped SKS w/the front sight removed and a muzzle break. After seeing that I bought a cheap Romanian SKS and did the mod myself. It actually turned out very nice- wish I had a good pic of it, but my sis being the SKS nut of the family, got into my safe one day and I came home to find $250 in place of my rifle. On well. She shoots it more than I did.

Cool thanks for the info. Here's another question. I'm trying to convince him to keep the iron sites. It should be possible to take the bayo lug off and keep the front site correct? I mean doing as you say with the dremel.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top