Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/8/2003 10:52:09 AM EDT
I have a pre ban Polytech AK47/S National Match rifle with a milled receiver, and a 21" heavy barrel (looks like a RPK barrel) that I bought NIB last year at a gunshow.

On the left side of the receiver above the trigger guard right next to the safety selector pin is a rectangular piece of steel. It measures 1 1/2" long, 7/16" wide at the front and narrows down to 1/4" wide at the rear. It has two pins holding it onto the receiver. Its also about 1/4" thick.

Does anyone have a clue as to what it is? Its not a scope rail like any I have seen. Its completely smooth all over so there would be no way it could be a rail of anykind.

I was thinking that maybe it could be a spacer that could be removed and a rail put in its place using the same pins. After looking at scope rails on the internet, it seems the pins wouldn't match up to the holes on the rails.

I have no idea what it is or what its used for. So I'm hoping some of you could give me some insite.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I really can't say for sure. All the Poly NM's I've seen have them. Actually I do believe they are some sort of optics plate, the Chinese used some odd configurations on the Hunter model AK's.

Just for comparison's sake, check out the odd Poly/Norinco mount on this site www.polytechparts.com

Perhaps Campy or someone else knows more?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 2:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
NightHawk, I know it's different than the piece on your rifle but here's a better view of the scope mount on the PolyTech site www.aa-ok.com/2e.jpg.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:39:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey WildWes thanks for the websight. Yeah their scope mount is alot different than mine. I've never seen one like that before.

If I can't find out what mine is used for I may just remove it and have a gunsmith install a standard scope rail on my rifle. I'd really like to mount a PSO scope on it.

Anyone else wanna take a guess as to what it is?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#5]
CAMPYBOB, if its a base, do you know what kind of scope mount would fit it?
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#6]
NightHawk, did you inquire with Keng's? For the life of me I can't remember the woman who runs the place's name but I've dealt with her on the phone and she's quite knowledgeable in the field of Polytechs and Chinese AK's in general.

Those were the folks responsible for the Polytech imports in the first place, they might not be able to produce the optic (or whatever went with the odd attachment) but they should be able to provide some info, maybe even a pic.

They're pretty quick to respond to e-mail inquires, a phone call might even be worthwhile.

Let us know if you find anything out, I've had an interest in the NM Poly's for some time. I've seen some on the 'net that appear to have factory bipods similar to the Norinco (pre-ban, pre-NHM) RPK's while most don't have them. Another thing I've noticed is most have a longer buttstock while some have the standard length unit.

Good luck!

EDIT: I believe her name is Chloe...
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#7]
WildWes thats a good idea. Maybe they'll be able to give me some insight on that little gadget. When I find out something I'll post it on here.

As far as the NM Poly's, they really are great rifles. The fit and finish are perfect. I got it NIB but it didn't come with a bi-pod. The only accessories it came with are, sling, oil bottle, thread protector, flash hider (its shaped like a funnel) and a cleaning kit in the buttstock. It may have come with a couple 30rd mags too but I can't remember.It does have the longer buttstock and a larger pistol grip. The furniture is a dark red that looks great. The only thing I changed on it was I put a birdcage flash hider cause I didn't like the looks of the funnel shaped one. I've been thinking about getting an AK74 type flash hider for it just because I like the looks of it better.

I'll contact Keng's and try and find some info to post for ya.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I finally got a reply from Keng's on what this little dohicky is. Here is what they said.

"The dovetail rail was made for a quick detachable scope mount, of which only a few are known to exist. I think we got two of them back in 1989 before the ban ended it all. Because the ban (George Bush Sr.) ended all importation of the rifles, it was pointless for the factory to make the scope mounts."

At least now I know for sure what it is, but its a shame I wont be able to find the original scope mount to make my rifle complete and all original. I guess I'll just have it removed and replace it with a standard type scope mount.

Thanks again WildWes for telling me where I could go to find out what it was.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#9]
doesn't Kalinka optics make a dove tail scope mount? I saw they had a dovetail red dot for sale and didn't know what it was.
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/cgi-local/kowstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=AMPNSD
This is the link for the dovetail rail.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 9:05:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
doesn't Kalinka optics make a dove tail scope mount? I saw they had a dovetail red dot for sale and didn't know what it was.
http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/cgi-local/kowstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=AMPNSD
This is the link for the dovetail rail.

The dovetail mount on that red dot scope looks like the type for a .22 cal rifle mount. Like the dovetail mount that comes with the Ruger 10/22 rifle.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top