Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/7/2003 2:30:34 PM EDT
Do you think it would be a good idea for me to get one of those do it yourself kits for putting together an AK? I don't have any experience in doing this but neither does anybody their first time. If you think it would be a good idea any suggestions on how to go about it? Thanks  Tivoli
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't suggest it for a first AK, maybe second or third (after you know you like AK's), but not for a first.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I would suggest getting a SAR series weapon first, to learn more about how a AK functions and is built, unless you are VERY mechanically inclined. I bought a SAR1, kept it for a couple years, then after seeing some home builts here on the board, sold it to fund my Bulgie AK74 project. I went the screw together route, 300 rds and not a single malfunction! Didn't even have to adjust the sights! Here she is, finish is compliments of Troy from INRANGE!!!

Out of the box....Day 1.

Complete.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#3]
"Do it yourself " AKs are NOT a first time
project!

By the time you buy a receiver , parts kit,
& U.S. compliance parts you will have spent
enough to buy a SAR AK. ( $350 w/ tax and or ship + FFl fee maybe )
Then you have to pay someone to build & refinish it.
(So we're talking total at LEAST $500.00 )

Now you're in the range of a nice Production AK
from one of the makers like Arsenal or a build
by a good smith (like Inrange )
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
i bought a kit for my first AK, just got it back from being put together by ohiorapidfire.com
you can ahve it built, standard, just parkerized, without the fancy RSA trigger, for right around 500.00 i had mine built with gunkote applied over park, and had a RSA trigger put in, for a total of about 650.00.
i figured if i was going to buy a rifle, get a good one, have it built right,and with all the features you want, and not have to worry about crappy finish, canted sights, or other problems.
a bit more than an SAR 2, but i think its worth it.
good luck!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I strongly reccomend the SAR series for the first AK.  They may not be the prettiest kids on the block but they work well and shoot as well as any other AK on the market.  Add the  RSA Trigger group for a DIY upgrade, and as a winter project refinish the wood.  You will not be sorry with the purchase and once done it will look and shoot great.  Every time I think of trading my SAR for something a little fancier I stop in my tracks realizing that I will spend more money and not get anything more reliable or accurate than I already have.  I then take the difference and put it into mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:34:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:49:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Alright I think I was getting ahead of myself. When I was first getting into AKs I was about a click away from getting a SAR-1 but then figured I should wait and do some more research. I was thinkin by building one I would quickly master the design. There's always the next one!

Thanks for all the input!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
ha..I thought you meant having one built for ya..not trying to build it yourself.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top