Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2003 7:06:47 AM EDT
ok im getting a kobra for my AK, which model?
either a EKP-1S-03M KOBRA , or a EKP-8-02

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the 02.  It has a stronger mount and the coin cell lithium batteries are quite easy to buy at Radio Shack or Wal-Mart.  I have an 02 and love it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I enjoy 2 of the 8-02s, both side rail and weaver models.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
just ordered a 8-02. hope to get it soon, how fast does Tantal ship after payment? i used paypal, and hope it comes quickly
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
To be the dissenting opinion, I have the 03. I like the AA's as it's one less battery to stock. Some people say that the elevation tower obstructs the view, but I have yet to see this. I like the skeleton mount better for aesthetics, and I like how it's a bit lower to the top cover than the 02, as I don't like my head to be too far up off the stock. The O3 is pretty much perfect for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Where did you get the 03?

I've been waiting for at least 4 months for Tantal to get them in stock - and now I am broke anyway so it doesn't matter.  I'd go ahead and get the 02 at this point if I weren't laid off.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I got mine before the current shortages-I think I got it from a shop around Feb... I agree, if you need one now, go with the 02 that way as I don't know if they know when o3's will come in again, do they?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:47:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
To be the dissenting opinion, I have the 03. I like the AA's as it's one less battery to stock. Some people say that the elevation tower obstructs the view, but I have yet to see this. I like the skeleton mount better for aesthetics, and I like how it's a bit lower to the top cover than the 02, as I don't like my head to be too far up off the stock. The O3 is pretty much perfect for me.

The problem with the obstruction is when people try to get a cheek weld on the rifle and get all down on it like a scope. From what I understand the kobra was not designed to be used like that. It was designed to be looked down on the way the russians shoot. The Imperialist opressive capitalists just do not use it correctly.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Not meaning to hijack the thread(but I am anyway), but does anyone know someone that can REPAIR a Kobra?

I bought one used off "the other board", and it seems to have some type of short in it.  Since I bought it used, I don't even know where it originally came from(probably Tantal though).

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#9]
For the cost of a new Kobra vs shop labor, try it yourself. Dirty battery contacts, switch would be my first places to look. Don't forget re-sealing it after you find the cure.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool, thanks for the tips RS39.

You are right, when it comes down to it, the worst that will happen is it still won't work, and I'll get a new one.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Not meaning to hijack the thread(but I am anyway), but does anyone know someone that can REPAIR a Kobra?

I bought one used off "the other board", and it seems to have some type of short in it.  Since I bought it used, I don't even know where it originally came from(probably Tantal though).

Thanks

One thing you can check is to make sure that the battery cover is tightened down.
What happens when its a little loose is as you fire your rifle the reticle will change on you from shot to shot.
I have seen more than a few threads on this problem on another board but honestly have never heard of a Kobra not working.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]
damn, Tantal is quick, ordered on the 8th, and it arrived today.
what a rugged lil piece of gear this is. only thing i dont like is, no co-witness of the sights, have to go range test it asap!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Be sure to take a small screwdriver with you. After the knob goes 180, it hits a stop. Loosen the center fastener for the knob a bit, lift and rotate the knob, reset. Viola! More adjustment range is at hand.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#14]
It's a little late for my vote now, but I own the 03 myself.

Only thing is, it is still sitting new in its pouch in my safe waiting on my AK-103 from Solstice Arms. At this rate, it will be outdated...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#15]
How much are the Kobra'S?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#16]
www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/
EKP-8-02 standard model  $139.95 (+ 6.50 shipping)  
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Be sure to take a small screwdriver with you. After the knob goes 180, it hits a stop. Loosen the center fastener for the knob a bit, lift and rotate the knob, reset. Viola! More adjustment range is at hand.

Set the two knobs on zero and loosen the small external locking ring that circles the screws by using the combo tool supplied with your scope and pry the knob loose (not off).  Then make your zero corrections with the screw inside the locking ring using the other end of the combo tool.

When zeroed, re-tighten the locking ring and  you are set.  It is easy to do, the manual just does not do a good job explaining it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Only thing is, it is still sitting new in its pouch in my safe waiting on my AK-103 from Solstice Arms. At this rate, it will be outdated...

I think you should upgrade and get rid of that antiquated sight. Tell ya what, I'll take it off your hands should you feel the need! :P :D
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top