Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 1:50:28 PM EDT
I've been interested in building an AR15, and talked with a neighbor who has one.  To make a long story short.  We were talking about my building one when the issue of cost came up.  My neighbor suggested I buy an AK if I don't have the money for an AR.  

I know they're cheap to shoot and reliable, but I'm not sure about how they look.  Also, at 200-300 yards, will I hit what I aim at?  The target would be the size of a 1 gallon milk jug.  In fact, milk jugs and 2-liter soda containers are our preferred targets.  If I could expect that level of accuracy, that should be all I'd need.

I'm sorry if I sound completely ignorant here (I am) concerning AK's, but this seemed like the best place to ask.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I should correct an earlier statement.  I looked at the VEPR hunting rifle, and it looks pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on my SAR2 and Bulgarian 74 kit build, the 5.45 AKs can get 2 1/4- 2 1/2" groups of 5 at 100yds with a 3.5x scope from a rest. My Armalite M15A4 with a 6x scope (as low as it backs down to) gets 2" from the same brand of 10 cents a shot Russian ammo. Now I can cut that in half with match 5.56 ammo, but who spends a quarter a shot for a jug of water?
Commie optics are cheap help to the basic irons. The 7.62 guns group about twice as large as a rule, with more arc in the trajectory.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top