Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 8:48:37 PM EDT
4 those who want it done, one more Builder does it.  In addition to AK-USA.

Heat treat receiver shells to milspec 32-36 Rockwell C hardness for just $25.00.

The hardened receiver supplied for just $80.00.

www.independencearms.com

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:11:31 AM EDT
[#1]
njogi, finally some firm information.  I felt as if I was watching a ping-pong game when I tried to follow the previous thread re this topic and don't believe any firm conclusions were reached.

I guess I'm still comfused as to whether or not the OOW receiver needed further heat treating ?  Was that conclusion ever reached ??
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:48:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:13:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I will not speak for anyone but myself...and i refuse to build another oow receiver gun for myself without having the heat treatment done.

the itm/oow receivers are soft as butter.

Well, I think that pretty much settles it.  If reverand Campy says he will do it, that pretty much tells you what the rest of us are going to do.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:42:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I will not speak for anyone but myself...and i refuse to build another oow receiver gun for myself without having the heat treatment done.

the itm/oow receivers are soft as butter.

Well, I think that pretty much settles it.  If reverand Campy says he will do it, that pretty much tells you what the rest of us are going to do.

Yep-works for me too!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Will be interesting to see. That's for sure.
Alot of us have rifles built on OOW rec's. I have a Krink being built on one currently.

Certainly Bob's opinion on this holds more weight than mine--even to me!
My other rec will sit until I decide what to do with it. AND until I get a sense that the heat treatment will not damage or make brittle the receiver.

It would be nice to have a dedicated thread for people to report problems or lack thereof.

It would also be nice to have Troy Sellars at INRANGE give his imput...
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:01:29 AM EDT
[#6]
What about the "warppage" issue spoken about in the earlier thread?  I've got two OOW receivers in the hidey hole and would certainly get them heat treated if I was sure it wouldn't warp them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What about the "warppage" issue spoken about in the earlier thread?  I've got two OOW receivers in the hidey hole and would certainly get them heat treated if I was sure it wouldn't warp them.

Apparently they have gotten around this issue, although OOW has not. He told me they warp like a pretzel during quenching when they have attempted to do this.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys, we can heat treat them also. Why? I have two full auto post sample Krinkovs with excess of 7,000 rounds each. I did oil harden the new sear hole but that is it. No problems at all.

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 1:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Guys, we can heat treat them also. Why? I have two full auto post sample Krinkovs with excess of 7,000 rounds each. I did oil harden the new sear hole but that is it. No problems at all.

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.

Good enough for me!  Oh and btw the AK74 built on the Bulgarian kit with the OOW receiver is absolutely beautiful and shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yds with the russian Elcan.

thanks Troy!!!11
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:18:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Great we have now 3 builders who do it!

We are informed that many OOW receivers guns have been built and work great without heat treatment.  That’s great.

Campy informs us of that lack of hardness of these receivers. They are not Milspec in terms of hardness.

Hence, our discussion should be, now that we know we can get them heat treated, why not then just have it done!  This way we will be happy and sure that receiver meets the milspec conditions.

So I agree with Campy, your next builds should incorporate the heat-treatment to get it milspec.

Do you need it?  You answer it.  I am glad to feel that now that if the build on OOW receiver that were not heat-treated, is not a problem.

I am told a lot of guns got built and have been shooting just great.

And.. it is safe to say that none so far have had problems with this type of receiver by these builders.

Randy of Independence Arms informed me that there should be no problems with the ejector as it is heated there.

He also informed me that OOW receivers are great to work with and stays away from HEsse ones.

He will have a new WEB setup with information that he provides heat-treatment if needed.

Well, Feel great ..We can all have a beer now!
Phew!  Great ending to this ? of OOW receivers.

Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My feeling is that:

Combloc's heat treat.  Heat treating adds expense and time.  Hence, they wouldn't go to the troubleif there wasn't an advantage.

All my new OOW builds will now be treated.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.

Thanks for your input Troy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:29:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Just out on AK-USA's site and they offer to heat treat OOW receivers for $35.00.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Now if only we could get someone to press the trigger bumps, these would be a great receiver for building replicas on.

Brick
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 9:17:04 AM EDT
[#16]
What the Hell is 'OOW'? All I could think of was 'out of wedlock'! LOL!
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 10:58:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What the Hell is 'OOW'? All I could think of was 'out of wedlock'! LOL!

www.ohioordnanceworks.com
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:27:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Now if only we could get someone to press the trigger bumps, these would be a great receiver for building replicas on

I take it you mean the X's and Y's stamped in the left side of com-bloc recievers for the pivit pins. I wish OOW did stamp the X's and Y's.

I've noticed some Maddi and Romanian Recievers even have the reinforced stamp on the left side and the narrow reinforcing "slot" stamped on the right side for the auto-sear hole. ( the hole is not drilled of course )

Like Campy says about the heat treating, if the Combloc ppl felt like the pivit pin holes needed reinforcing, then there is a good reason for them being there....

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 10:10:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Glad I saw this. Randy at IndyArms is building my 74 right now, and he said it wasn't too late to use the hardened receiver. He even has some already in stock.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top