Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/4/2003 5:51:26 PM EDT
I've been a ar15 person since I joined the army when I was 17 the only time I fired an AK47 was during a weapons familiarization class. Since i can't find a preban ar15 under $2,000 right now I decided to try something new. I like prebans but I would also like to put a syn.stock on it and most likely an optic. Also do I want 7.62 or 5.45? So if you had $1,200 to spend what would you get?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Krink it...SBR.

I'd go with 7.62
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I would get a Chinese polytech legend.  I would leave the original stock on it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in Philadelphia, no class 3. I like the k-var stock sets.I did get a postban would should I get?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I've just gone through getting my first (for myself) and that turned out to be a postban SAR-2.  Admittedly part of the reason for that rifle was because I ran into a good deal but still this was among my first three choices.  I'm thinking of a SAM-7S (postban) for my second.

Edited to add:  Mike, I just noticed your $1200 budget.  I paid $350 for my SAR-2 with three mags, cleaning kit and a scope.  I think I've found a SAM-7S to buy for around $725 and it is also scoped and with mags.  Unless you move up to one of the Krebs guns (possibly my third target) I'm thinking you may have bucks left over.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll second the sa-m7 You'll never look back.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Hah your in philly too.  Around what parts?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:49:38 PM EDT
[#7]
old city
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'll second the sa-m7 You'll never look back.

GOOD - cause I may have found one that I like.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I am over in west philly.  A student.  I am also in the market for an ak.  I think I am going to go for a ak103 from ak usa.  Just waiting to make sure I don't have to throw the money at school.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I am over in west philly.  A student.  I am also in the market for an ak.  I think I am going to go for a ak103 from ak usa.  Just waiting to make sure I don't have to throw the money at school.  

I too have checked their site but the prices are "POR".  Did you get a price from them as yet ??
------------------------------------------------

I mention the Krebs guns not because I have any personal experience but because knowledgeable members on this forum speak highly of them.  Currently, I'm admiring the Krebs AK-103K - 7.62X39 (Carbine) for $795.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:29:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I think they had prices up on the site a while ago.  I have been holding off to see if I keep my scholarship or not.  If I remember right I think they were around 600-700.  It might have been more though. I have not really been keeping tabs on it so it might have changed.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think they had prices up on the site a while ago.  I have been holding off to see if I keep my scholarship or not.  If I remember right I think they were around 600-700.  It might have been more though. I have not really been keeping tabs on it so it might have changed.  

I sent them an email requesting a price so we should have something tomorrow.

Good luck on keeping your scholarship !!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:11:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks.  Yeah I would be interested in what the price is these days.  I was thinking of throwing a kobra sight on there.  Anyone have any experience with them?
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Mike and Forum, you guys going to the Valley Forge Gun Show next weekend? June 14 & 15? I am also looking to pick up an AK. Perhaps we could meet and negotiate a 3 gun buy from a dealer and get a better price. SAM-7 or AK-103...possibly a Krink.

Where do you guys shoot at? I have been running down to Maryland to Elk Neck State Park. Takes an hour to get there but it is a nice range, 100 M Rifle, Pitol, and clays. Nice layout, always get a bench, load a full mag and best of all cheap!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:56:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I don't think I will be able to make it out for the show.  

School has cut way back on my shooting, but I used to shoot at a farm.  Its on Sugar Bottom Road in Furlong.  Its just off 263.  5 dollars shoot all day.  They don't allow semi-auto rifles though so once I get my ak(grades/scholarship permitting) I will need to find somewhere else to shoot.  Its a damn shame about that place and the policy on semiautos.  They are being invaded by suburbia and all the damn soccer moms are complaining how dangerous that place is.  The damn range has been there since 1918.  Its not like they built the range near houses these people built houses near a range and then they want to shut it down.  This country is a mess.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I never had any luck there. Over priced,people trying to sell used as new and postban as preban. Not worth it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#17]
You can't find a preban for less than $2,000?  Did you try looking on this board's equipment exchange?  Shit, for $2,000 you could buy a pre-ban AR, a SAR1, buttload of mags and some ammo for each!
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Not near Philadelphia
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Mike, is there a local law that says you can't buy from someone out of state and have it shipped to a local dealer and transferred?  Seriously, you should be able to find a pre-ban here for $1,000-$1,200.

Edited to add:

Here is a DPMS pre-ban stripped lower for $750 shipped from a board industry partner.  I would try offering $700 shipped and see if there is a bite, maybe he goes $725 shipped.  A Preban rifle kit with all needed parts save the receiver will run less than $450 shipped...  That's a preban AR in whatever config you desire for less than $1,200!

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=21&t=167761
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#20]
no law, just a lot of attitude. I tried to order a bushmaster and for a month the dealer "forgot" to send a copy of there ffl and then kept trying to sell me on of there's. I have friends that keep running into the same problem. It's not worth the headache or the running around.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
no law, just a lot of attitude. I tried to order a bushmaster and for a month the dealer "forgot" to send a copy of there ffl and then kept trying to sell me on of there's. I have friends that keep running into the same problem. It's not worth the headache or the running around.

Mike, try looking on Gunsamerica.com for a dealer.  They list those dealers who want to do transfers for a fee.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Mike,

Ken Crane Sporting Goods in Ridley, right off of 95 just past the airport will do a transfer if he cannot get it himself, and he can get most anything you want. Charges $25. Good guy, retired LEO, has a decent selection. Give him a call 610) 833-5220, tell him what you are looking for, and that Patrick Smith refered you.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:38:06 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Mike,

Ken Crane Sporting Goods in Ridley, right off of 95 just past the airport will do a transfer if he cannot get it himself, and he can get most anything you want. Charges $25. Good guy, retired LEO, has a decent selection. Give him a call 610) 833-5220, tell him what you are looking for, and that Patrick Smith refered you.

thanks, i'll go there on monday
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#24]
The $25 is for a FFL transfer. He has some post ban AR-15s, 2 AKs, a Sa-58, and others. I am sure he can locate any pre/post ban weapon you want. He also has a converted .50 cal Boys anri tank rifle if you want something to take to the range that weighs 36 lbs.

Call first, he doesnt have regular hours.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Does k-var make a stock set for it?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top