Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 6:20:53 PM EDT

This is one of 5 hummingbird feeders around my house. They are really starting to pick up and everyday we have more. In July it gets really crazy. I've seen up to 15 around this feeder but this was the most my wife got on a pic.
We have tons of flowers as well and there is plenty to attract them.
Anyway, just thought some of you might think this is neat. They are cool as hell to watch.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, that X has struck again.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, how do I post pics? First time I've tried this.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Okay, how do I post pics? First time I've tried this.

Well, first off, you need a decent link. The one you have above is crap!! It reads like this:

http://efb01da3bd9c05bc27aca4&msg=msg1054432829.42&start=54298&len=45923&mimepart=5&disk=64.4.10.71_d1174&login=drjarhead&domain=hotmail.com/

Once you get a real link, look at this:

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I know about the img thing but am having trouble getting photos hosted. Will keep trying.
New experience for me. Anyhow, I'll probably do the ar15 membership bit.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, if you threw out the link for the pic ( a real link) we could prolly help you out alot more.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
DrJ,  I have had the same problem recently.  I used to post pictures on  Printshop.com, but they no longer host pictures for free.

The Hunting pictures.com site has just changed today, so that site may be a good choice.  They combined their hunting & fishing site's together.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help guys. Took a while for me to sort it all out.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Just sugar water. No dye.
4cups water, 1 cup sugar. Same as everyone I guess. They love it by our house and everyone is amazed. Our neighbors who have moved up to their cabins and cottages after retiring the last several years have taken advantage and our numbers dwindled some for a couple of years but now there are just more for everyone.
We have tons of flowers: Annuals, perenials and plenty of wildflowers, wild cherry blossoms, etc. Shutters are red, etc.

I've never seen anything like it anywhere else either. Like I said, though, you should see it in July. After the young learn to fly it is like Ohare airport around here and they ain't shy. Sometimes they buzz by so close that they rustle your hair. They are VERY unafraid of my wife and when really hungry they almost attack when she refills the feeders. At their peak we refill all five feeders 2-4 times daily and the feeder shown is our smallest by far. This year this one is their favorite feeder. Every year they seem to gravitate towards one mostly. Don't know why and there does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
We also have lots of pine and spruce and they go from those to the feeder and back, taking turns somewhat. Out in our yard it is just a constant hum most days.

I live in far northern WI and we have a log home on a crystal clear lake surrounded by national forest. Saw a bear 2 nights ago. Eagles all over, Wolves, even mountain lions but I haven't seen one of those yet.  Great hunting, good fishing. The range nearby I  almost always have to myself.
Now I just need a little time off!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:32:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, that's more humming birds then I've ever seen in one place before.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Look at all those little critters buzzing around!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn,  That is an awsome sight.  We are happy to see one humming bird at our feeders during the summer months.  I count eight in your picture.  They are awsome to watch.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#14]
At their peak we have 70-100 in our yard. This year looks to be good.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn doctor! I thought you were going to talk about a different sort of "hummer"

Nice Hummingbirds. It's further proof that St. Louis sucks assmar.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn, I was hoping you were talking about the truck, I had a dream about rock crawling in one of them last night!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Damn doctor! I thought you were going to talk about a different sort of "hummer"

Nice Hummingbirds. It's further proof that St. Louis sucks assmar.

Yeah, I never could figure out why anyone lives in such places.
You're stuck for medschool, though. Only in large urban areas. A necessary evil.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#18]
When I was in the Arbor Vitae/St. Germain/Eagle River area a couple weeks ago, there were a lot of orioles out looking for food too.  You might want to put up one of those orange colored sugar water feeders to get those coming too, but I don't know if they stick around there, or head further north.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
When I was in the Arbor Vitae/St. Germain/Eagle River area a couple weeks ago, there were a lot of orioles out looking for food too.  You might want to put up one of those orange colored sugar water feeders to get those coming too, but I don't know if they stick around there, or head further north.

Cool. I'll give 'em a try. I keep looking for orioles but haven't seen any. I think my wife saw one this year though from her description.

I live very nearby to where you were.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:00:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I live in northern WI too, and they've started to come around mine, but usually when there's a bunch like that around mine they get territorial and start trying to chase others away. What lake are you around DrJarhead?
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 7:08:37 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I live in northern WI too, and they've started to come around mine, but usually when there's a bunch like that around mine they get territorial and start trying to chase others away. What lake are you around DrJarhead?

That does limit numbers aound some of my feeders. They are very territorial and a couple have been pretty much taken over by the more aggressive hummers. After the young hatch and fly it's everything goes, though.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top