Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 8:29:35 AM EDT
Are the Romak III and the SSG-97 the same rifle ??  The look 'appears' identical but I don't know about internals ??
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:56:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It's the same rifle.  I think dealers are just putting a German designation on them to sell them better.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's the same rifle.  I think dealers are just putting a German designation on them to sell them better.  

EXCELLENT  !!  Then I've found that rifle for about $699 new.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:10:37 PM EDT
[#3]
My dads' shoots great.  Have not shot it since the RSA trigger upgrade, but it should help.  It was damn accurate with the surplus Yugo that was out about a year ago.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:22:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My dads' shoots great.  Have not shot it since the RSA trigger upgrade, but it should help.  It was damn accurate with the surplus Yugo that was out about a year ago.

Learned something new again - didn't realize the RSA trigger would work with this rifle.

Tnaks !!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:58:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I dropped an RSA trigger group in mine and it makes a huge difference.  It dropped in like it was made for my particular rifle, and the trigger pull is like night and day.  Aside from using ammo the gun likes, this is the single best thing you can do to a Romak 3/SSG-97 to improve it.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I dropped an RSA trigger group in mine and it makes a huge difference.  It dropped in like it was made for my particular rifle, and the trigger pull is like night and day.  Aside from using ammo the gun likes, this is the single best thing you can do to a Romak 3/SSG-97 to improve it.  

Ross

Ross speaking of ammunition, what do you suggest ??
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always known it to be the psl.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I would try the Czech silver tip.  It tends to be the best shooting in most rifles.  It wouldn't hurt to try some of the heavier yellow tip just to see how the rifle likes it.  You never know what any particular gun will favor.

There is a good steady supply of the silver tip so if it shoots well, you can shoot often and cheap.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would try the Czech silver tip.  It tends to be the best shooting in most rifles.  It wouldn't hurt to try some of the heavier yellow tip just to see how the rifle likes it.  You never know what any particular gun will favor.

There is a good steady supply of the silver tip so if it shoots well, you can shoot often and cheap.

ober, I don't know what twist barrels these rifles have so I could use any information as to bullet weight.  I think I read somewhere that 147grn-152grn shoot best but that's from memory.  If correct, that would indicate these rifles probably have 1:12 twist barrels ??

Also any sources for ammunition would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Most Russian semi-autos work best with ammo in the 147(ish) grain range.

The silver tip is 147 grains.  The yellow tip is usually 182(ish) grains depending on country etc.  Look in the AK ammo forum for a 7.62 X 54R identification guide.

I know www.ammunitionstore.com had some cheap a while ago.  Also, try www.dansammo.com. The Ammo-man might also have some in stock as well.  It is a realativly common round.

It can also always be found cheap at almost any local gun show.

I have no idea about the twist rate, but I know that my dad had great results with the 150 grain Yugo ammo, and others report great results with most all Russain rifles, especially semi-autos, with the silver tip.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I use the Czech silvertip because I'm cheap and already have a bunch.  I tried Russian surplus out of it and the groups grew to twice as big.  I haven't shot it lately, so I suppose it's time to take it out and really see what I can do with it now.  

Heck I need to shoot the SVT as well, so I guess a 7.62x54R day at the range is in order.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked one up from Troy Sellars awhile back before I deployed.  Excellent rifle, hope to shoot it when I return.

KF

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=54043&w=searchPop

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top