Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/26/2003 8:04:55 AM EDT
Didn't know where else to post this... I know he used to moderate here, so some of you might know him. Looks like he won't be around for a while now unless some big wigs pull strings.

www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0526collins26.html

edit to make hotlink active
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#1]
www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0526collins26.html

Man, he's really stepped into the shit this time.

I hope everything works out for him.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
They (FBI) probably knew about his escapades before. Someone was probably out to lock him up finally and get him out of the spotlight. Look how the Feds treated some of their former drug informants on various DEA cases.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#3]
The federalies down there don't play around. It will be interesting to see what transpires about it. I think a few saw this coming.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the update.
270/6=45, so it was probably his pet AK74. With a partner from Argentina, I'm curious what kind of person he was hired to pick up.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:57:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Police also found six ammunition cartridges containing 270 rounds,

I want a gun like that.

Sounds like hemight be in real trouble this time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#7]
damn, wouldnt want to be him. but seeing the shit he has seen so far in life, he will make his way through it, and have material for his next book.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Collins and his companion, Mariel Fernanda Santillan of Argentina, have been charged with transporting weapons in violation of Mexico's federal firearms law and entering the country illegally, according to the attorney general's office in Mexico

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Perhaps it is the will of allah.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Shotar - hit the nail on the head
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Rot's sig line sure sums up this situation well.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 10:47:28 AM EDT
[#13]

As it isnt my place to judge him, I'll say this as objectively as I can, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. This wont be the first, or likely the last my brother Aqil finds himself in the proverbial crapper at a chili-cookoff.After meeting more former Muj. here in the US, it seems Aqil "fell off the wagon" as far as moral standards go as of late. Something all men, especially soldiers and warriors aught to strive for is humility and penitence in regard to themselves and their lives, this Aqil lacked. Perhapse, inshallah, this is as Shotar says, Gods way of trying to teach him that. Or as an ex of mine put it, a clue-by-four to the head.

Hopefully his fellows in the Mexican prison will find him too ugly to cornhole him, and thats about the best anyone can ask for out of such a situation.

As for the specifics, well, I guess I'll ask him in 10 years just what in the hell was going on. Until then I've got my own "holy war" to fight: the defense of my country and its citizens.

Anderson
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I want a gun like that.

Buy a SAR-2.  Then get 6 45 round mags.

6x45= 270.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I imagine he's screwed. Prior to entering Mexico at the San Yisidro border, freeway signs instruct you tune to a certain AM radio station. The thing they are trying to get across to you on the looped message is "DO NOT bring firearms into Mexico or ammunition."  During one of my many visits to Tijuana a cab driver said it costs about $500 to  pay off a cop for a weapons violation.

I hope he has someone to personally visit and bring him bare essentials as he will not get them there. The Navy has to bring hot meals to sailors and Marines in Mexican jails. Chaplians take personal hygiene products to them regularly.

LOOK what I found!
Firearms in Mexico
Starting March 23, 1999, United States citizens who accidently carry a single firearm into Mexico may not face long jail terms. Instead they will:

Have to give up the firearm to Mexican customs in exchange for a receipt.
Get permission to continue the trip into Mexico.
Return the receipt to Mexican customs when they leave the country.
Pay a fine that, at the current exchange rate, could reach $800 US Dollars.

However, this exception does not apply if the weapon is one reserved for exclusive use by the Mexican military. Anyone caught carrying these firearms may be sentenced to 5 to 30 years in a Mexican prison.

Someone who is caught with multiple firearms not in the military category, or who commits a repeat offense with such weapons, also faces 3 to 10 years in prison.

At the very least it will cost lots of time (months or years in a Mexican jail) and thousands of US Dollars in lawyer fees to get out.

The best thing is not to take firearms into Mexico unless you are on a pre-arranged hunting excursion, are very familiar with the laws and have the right permits.

Prohibited firearms:

All handguns above .38 caliber, including the .357 Magnum
Long-barreled firearms of calibers .223, 7mm and 7.62mm
Carbines of .30 caliber
Automatic weapons
Shotguns greater than 12-gauge or with a barrel shorter than 25 inches
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 12:53:41 AM EDT
[#16]
So they arrested an american "illegal immigrant" commiting a crime in Mexico? am i the only one that finds that slightly funny? Other way around and it doesnt even make the police column on page 12 of my local paper.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:27:41 AM EDT
[#17]
He'll pull out of this one as soon as the press backs off.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I want a gun like that.

Buy a SAR-2.  Then get 6 45 round mags.

6x45= 270.

1 Ammunition cartidge = 1 round. 1 cartridge can not contain more than 1 round. (I know there are duplex rounds but you see my point.)

I was poking fun at the bad use of terminalogy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:58:45 AM EDT
[#19]
In some parts of the world,what we refer to as Magazines are refered to as weapons cartridges.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:11:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Aqil is being held in Cereso Prison in Durango Tele# 52 814 0204.The inside story,he had a run in with the Family members of the Guy he was after,during the shootout a female associated with the case was shot close to the lung.Aqil got away and returned about a week later with a borrowed Krink,6 45 round mags and about 12 grenades.He was picked up before anything more happened.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
In some parts of the world,what we refer to as Magazines are refered to as weapons cartridges.

Really?? I have never heard that.  Thats a new one on me.  I guess I lerned something today.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:46:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Reading about this Aqil makes me think.  Let's all take our guns and go to some other country for a big shoot.  But let's do go to Mexico (been done too many times before).  No let's go somewhere novel.  How about Mainland China? Now that seems like a fun place to smuggle in some illegal guns and go blasting away.  Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Congo all sound like good alternatives.

What do you say?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Finally, the AG's representative assured that as of now there is no claim for him on the part of U.S. authorities nor any indication of an arrest warrant issued by authorities of the same country and for that reason, he will pay for the crimes he committed under Mexican law.

Ouch!

Lot of risk to take for a measly $2700.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:57:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
...such as an AK-47 better known as the "goat's horns", magazines with live 7.62mm cartridges, smoke and illumination grenades among other war supplies,

leave it to a 4rth rate banana republic to come up with "goat's horns".

I laughed my ass off when I read that earlier.  Goat's Horns...... hehe.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#27]
it's "Cuerno de Chivo" spelling might be wrong

the curved AK magazine resembles in their point of view I guess a goats horn.. when speaking with immigrants and mentioning an AK I usually have to say, "Cuerno de chivo" and they realize what I'm talking about along with hand gestures

Hey thanks for the heads up Rotdorn. JOHNO- However did you find that out?

I just got back from camping in Mexico on the beach last night. Right as we are about to enter Mexico I thought about Mr. Abu Jihad and thought to myself, "I better not have any ammo in here.." did a cursory check and found 1 round in the center console, I had my wife chuck it out the window as I pulled over to the shoulder..sheeesh!  Had a great time though ..camping, lobster at Puerto Nuevo..oh ya
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#28]
So he was picked up in Durango, Durango, huh?  I'm probably the only gringo that's ever fired fully a automatic AK-47 and an M16 inside the Durango P.D. headquarters indoor "shooting range".  This I did illegally (under Mexican law) in 1997, and with the complicity of the local Durango P.D. (I even have a videotape of this somewhere).  I remember the coolest thing about the Durango P.D. was that they used Dodge Rams as police vehicles (stripe, light bar, etc.), but there is indeed a strong Mexican army and federal police presence there.

Since he is in jail there, one of the biggest worries he'll have is the scorpions that infest the Durango jail.  Jailers there have lost several inmates due to the scorions.  Otherwise, Durango is a nice town, missing much of the squalor that you'll find in the border towns.

Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#29]
More interesting fodder for his next book.

I spent a month in Mexico City, over Christmas 2000-New Years 2001 and found the populace to be quite heavily armed. The cops carried a wide variety of well abused weapons, of which I'd guess may be 1/4 had ammo avaliable (Saw a SIG StG57) and probably less had any clue of how to use. Saw an H&K21 (I think) with an FAL magazine shoved into it. Interesting country. Anyhow, most of the girl's family whom I was staying with was well armed, mostly South American revolvers, a few autos, a good number of shotguns, and a shitload of old military mausers. Her kid's dad even had a nice collection of South American Remingtons from ages ago, all in shooting condition. Too bad ammo is such a pain to get there.

Still hope Br.Aqil is allright. If he survives the scorpions, prison may be the safest place for him to be right now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 4:50:13 AM EDT
[#30]
FireControlman,Robert Young Pelton posted that info on his site.Pelton and Aqil are pretty tight.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top