Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/25/2003 6:54:19 PM EDT
This is purportedly a cousin of the AK, developed in what was then Czechoslovakia, firing a round similar to the 7.62x39, however, it was a 7.62x45 ....

What scant information I have states that 8000 of these made it to the US.  Never seen one.  Any of you seen one?

And even if I did find one, where would I find spare mags for this critter?

Marty
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I have seen these before, all of them that I have seen had a black crackle finish of some sort on the stock. They seem to be well built rifles. I imagine finding mags and ammo could be problematic, due to its short period of service, and the fact that it was never adopted by anyone outside of its country of origin. I know where there is one fo rsale pretty cheap, it has been sitting on the rack for years, right beside an 11MM something or other that has also set in th eshop for a very long time due to lack of available ammo scaring off potential buyers. It would be a great item to pick up if you collected htat type of thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:08:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a nearly mint version in 7.62 X 39.  Most of these rifles were sent to Grenada and were captured there by the US Marines.

It is a very well ballenced, heavy, solid rifle.
It shoots great.  The only odd thing is that it ejects to the left.

Most of the rifles in 7.62 X 45 are in bad shape, and ammo, if you can find it, is going up in price although it used to be cheap.  The X 45 round really was a better round but
standardization ended its life.

You realy don't need spare mags as it is made to be loaded by strippers like an SKS.  It is more like a Rashid and an SKS than an AK. Still, I love my (now) safe queen, and would never give it up.

My rifle has a greenish lamiated stock.  The black crinkle finish was add to rifles in poor shape. They should still shoot fine, but if you can find one in 7.62 X 39 and without the crinkle stock, you will have a much better rifle. Thing is, most people who bought them still have them making them hard to find.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:21:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Local shop has one, in very good to excellent condition. Original finsh on the wood, plenty of ammo in stock. They are asking $450 if anyone is interested.

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I paid $350 for mine when they were popular so that would be a decent price.

Kind of a waste of money for one in 7.62 X 45 unless you are a hard core collector though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
headsbunker.nothingbutguns.com/html/vz52.html

This is a nice review of the VZ in 7.62x45.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 7.62x45 52, It's in really nice arsenal refinished shape exc bore and no import marks at all, maybe a bring back ? with 2 mags w/pouch sling and sight hood. Paid like $225 for it but it short strokes like a MOF with surplus steel case ammo. When it runs brass case ammo it works great and is fun to shoot.

7.62x45 ammo is still around real cheap from Century Arms BTW. and mags are $ 9.95 from " Dealers Warehouse" www.tdwsales.com
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The one I saw in the pawn shop, has the black crackle finsih, but otherwise appears to be in great shape (I haven't inspected it closely), I believe that they would take less than a hundred for it. They are pretty interested in getting it off of the shelf, it has been setting there for at least four years.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Considering we have some hard core collectors in our shop, especially in ComBloc stuff, Lightening-P38, if you can IM or Email contact info for the shop at your locale, I will see if the boys here are interested in picking it up.

Tangeant - thanks for the links, the mags were what had my interest

Marty
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top