Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#1]
the brown plastic stocks?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Affirm, brown plastic.  ops
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably the ugliest AK furniture ever made. Kind of a '70s appliance look.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
i love it, functional, tough, light, has snazy narrow forearms and matches plum mags great

on top of that they is dirt cheap
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:09:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The first time I ever put a set of this East German Plastic on a AK, my buddies gave me a hard time: "Looks like a cheap toy" or "looks like it'll break easily"
However after stomping through the woods wild hog hunting, throwing it in the truck, etc, I've been impressed by it. I like to use the complete EG stock set, but with the EG wood lower with the bulges.

You can also get EG brown plastic ( and wood lowers ) from AA-ok

Complete set:
www.aa-ok.com/AK_Stocks/stock.html

Wood lower w/ bulges:
www.aa-ok.com/Handguards_-_Lower/Handguards_-_Lower.htm

Upper hanguards w/ gas tube:
www.aa-ok.com/Handguards_-_Upper/Handguards_-_Upper.htm

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:49:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an East German stock set on one of my Hungarian SA-85s.  It does make a great quality AK look like crap, but it works great.  The plastic stock is tough and the bakelite handguards are slim and bakelite protects from heat fantastically.  They look like cheap junk, but they work really well.  I'm probably going to put wood back on that particular one, but I think an inexpensive AK (SAR-2 to go alonge with my Ratmil and my Bulgy kit) refinished (paint, gunkote?) in desert tan with the brown furniture and orange mag would look pretty cool.

Ross
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#7]
www.nouglyguns.com

I agree, brown sucks, but these guys turn a quality product and make them at least nice looking...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I gotta admit, the first time I saw b&w pics of E.German AK's in a couple of books, I thought they were extremely cool.

So I picked up a set for $35 at a gun show a few years back and promptly modified it to fit a Chinese .223. First impression? The composition of the plastic itself is cheesy. While the bakelite lower handguard seemes decent enough, the upper handguard led me to believe it would melt---quickly! (it didn't)

The buttstock? Well, I have to admit I think it looks alot better in b&w than in living color. It is , for the most part, hollow. The pistol grip seems to have more "flex" to it than others I have as well.

In the field, I noticed an increase in felt recoil. Others dispute that claim, but I know it felt different than it did both with wood thumbhole furniture and Chinese polymer. (those sets are both harder and heavier than the E.German set)

My conclusion is that it would be perfect for a MPi-KM clone or a "brush gun". A good deal for the money, however if they were truly desirable they would cost twice as much.

-just my .02
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey, they warned people about the brown acid...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Ops,
If your interested in a set, I'm trying to get rid of mine. Excellent condition, $25 shipped.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top