Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2003 9:09:44 AM EDT
Jimmy Streetman has a forum on the other AK site that I have been reading lately.  He states that his new 74 rifles are due out in June but that he is also still waiting to receive some final paperwork before the rifles will go on sale.  He doesn't say what the paperwork pertains to, such as an import agreement with his overseas suppliers or if it is some ATF or Customs documentation.  Is it just me or does this seem like a really silly business practice?  What if he is unable to get this mystery paperwork and the new Global rifles never make it to market?  Wouldn't that make him and Global look very stupid?  I'm not ranting on Global, I have a SSR-85C and think it is a great rifle.  I just wouldn't advertise rifles that I didn't have the go ahead from whoever to build.  If he does get the green light to build and sell these new 74s, then I will defenitely be in line to buy one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:19:58 AM EDT
[#1]
U. Sam,
preannouncing product is fairly common in many industries - just think about Microsoft !!  (Other than automobiles I can't think of many products that actually get to market on the original announced date - but I'm sure there are others.)

The theory is that (X %) of purchases will be frozen and the purchaser will wait while the product is still in the pipeline awaiting the final_________??  Not saying this is the case with Global of course.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking about the automobile market when I started this thread.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Another gun industry example is ArmaLite.  I know the people well and know they try about as hard as one can to meet deadlines and they were almost a year late in bringing out their new AR-180B.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:13:00 PM EDT
[#4]
ill believe it when i see it, those creeps have been promising a 74 for 3 years.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ill believe it when i see it, those creeps have been promising a 74 for 3 years.

Exactly what have "those creeps" been promising you for three years  ??  Do you mean an AK-74 ??
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Biff's right, they posted the same thing on the other ".nutz" board last summer. They built a few AK-74s on FEGs and sold them down in Texas, but nothing else came from it. Who knows what happened, but they also did something similar involving FEG receivers a year ago too.

I won't believe Global Trades is producing their -74s in mass until I see a bunch of people with them. I honestly have seen mixed reports about their SSR-85s, so I doubt I'll jump on one when you can do one hell of a Bulgie build via Inrange, Ohio Rapid Fire or AK-USA.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't claim to be privy to all of ArmaLite's future plans but I can tell you that I've never even heard a mention of an AK-74.  An AR-10-47 - yes - a mention maybe a year ago but I know that project is shelved.  For that matter so is Knight's SR-47 project.  Robinson using the Stoner 62/63 platform is likely the best bet for a U.S. made 7.62X39.  Regardless of the manufacturer, none here will be happy with the price.

ArmaLite actually built some AK-74's and sold them ??  Is that what you guys are saying ??  Then promised they would build more ??  This was an ArmaLite Company undertaking and not an individual ??  
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:19:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Dude, how the hell did you read that Armalite built AK-74s??????????????

No, I said GLOBAL TRADES, down in Texas built a few (LIKE 2 or 4) and now they're promising more.

Biff was responding to uncleSAM's post, not yours. All that damn AR-15 CLP has poisoned your brain cells 5subslr5. You need to start snorting Hoppe's 9 and carb cleaner like Campybob does.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dude, how the hell did you read that Armalite built AK-74s??????????????

No, I said GLOBAL TRADES, down in Texas built a few (LIKE 2 or 4) and now they're promising more.

Biff was responding to uncleSAM's post, not yours. All that damn AR-15 CLP has poisoned your brain cells 5subslr5. You need to start snorting Hoppe's 9 and carb cleaner like Campybob does.

Well crap - I been snorting the wrong schitt !!

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been waiting for over a year for the Sarco AK's that were supposed to be here in June. Last june.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:57:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#12]
When I posted this thread I wasn't knocking Jimmy or Global, I was just questioning the wisdom of their marketing.  I hope they are able to come out with their guns on time or even late.  I stated earlier that have one of the rifles and really like it.  I just didn't see the point of hyping up a furture product when they don't know for sure they will be able to sell that product.  Just seems to me like they should have waited until they had all of their ducks in a row before they started advertising them.  If they do come out with their ne 74s, then I will be in line to get one.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top