Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2003 8:49:28 PM EDT
Last week went to the range with some friends and one new shooter loaded some mags for us and happened to put a 223 wolf round in the box or mag unknown to me.We were using wolf and it fired and blew the case .Ouch.... we fired the weapon with no harm done but I'll be more careful next time.Lesson never pick up ammo that your not sure what it is I've been shooting a long time and that was a first.Happened to be the last round in the mag sounded weak good thing it did not bulge my barrel
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
 Thanks for posting this.  These cautionary tales maybe painful to relate, but we need every one of them.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#2]
 What happened when it hit that round? Did your action cycle or did it jam?
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
It did not cycle and sounded like a dud but I saw the dirt puff so I knew it fired.Very uncool after viewing the chamber thought I had a jam because the round wad stuck.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:43:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you saying you fired a 5.56 in a 5.45? I'm surprised the AK fired, because the bolt can't close on the longer .223. You are lucky the bullet didn't get stuck in the barrel and that it was the last round in the mag. I doubt that it would have damaged the barrel unless it got stuck and you fired another round on it. I never thought about this happening when I was considering a rifle chambered for the 5.45, and I'm glad I didn't get it. That would be like having a 7.62x39 rifle with 7.73x41 ammo easily available and by the same manufacturer as your usual ammo. The chance of mishap is very high, even for experienced shooters like yourself. It was probably not much of a problem until Wolf started making 5.56 with the steel case that looks just like 5.45, at least at a glance. Wow. Somebody needs to post a warning to the small-bore AK shooters to be careful of this. I wonder how it works the other way around - 5.45 in a 5.56 chamber?  
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Are you saying you fired a 5.56 in a 5.45? I'm surprised the AK fired, because the bolt can't close on the longer .223. You are lucky the bullet didn't get stuck in the barrel and that it was the last round in the mag. I doubt that it would have damaged the barrel unless it got stuck and you fired another round on it. I never thought about this happening when I was considering a rifle chambered for the 5.45, and I'm glad I didn't get it. That would be like having a 7.62x39 rifle with 7.73x41 ammo easily available and by the same manufacturer as your usual ammo. The chance of mishap is very high, even for experienced shooters like yourself. It was probably not much of a problem until Wolf started making 5.56 with the steel case that looks just like 5.45, at least at a glance. Wow. Somebody needs to post a warning to the small-bore AK shooters to be careful of this. I wonder how it works the other way around - 5.45 in a 5.56 chamber?  

I don't personally think 5.45x39 looks very much like 5.56x45.  The 5.45 round is pretty distinctive looking, and it wouldn't be easy to mistake it for anything else, IMO.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:28:46 AM EDT
[#6]
You be surprised what you can do when your not paying attention. My buddys kid loaded a 30/30 in a 35 Remington, closed the action and fired it. Both rifles were on the same table as was the ammo. He now has a nice 30/30 case fire formed to 35 Remington. He was able to put the round in the wrong chamber and close the action with the lever even thought the 30/30 is a rimmed case and the 35 is rimless. Its not the guns fault if you feed it the wrong stuff.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
When I bought my first AK (MAC-90) right after the first ban I knew NOTHING of the gun.

I took a box of .223 and shot the whole 20rd box out of the gun wondering WHAT THE HELL was going on.  Sounded kinda quiet.  Couldnt hit nothing.  Didnt function semiauto- was a straight pull to make it work.  Sides of the cases either bulged or split!

Anyway, if your in a pinch and need to shoot some SOB in battle, use a .223 in the 7.62 gun.  It does work!

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Holy keyholes, Batman!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:33:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Anyway, if your in a pinch and need to shoot some SOB in battle, use a .223 in the 7.62 gun. It does work!

Considering the bullet doesn't obtrude the barrel it might hit someone hard enought to make a welt or small bruse.

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Ouch, A friend of mine had an experince similar to that at the range awhile back.He was shooting a Taurus PT 99 in 40 S&W,loaded a bunch of mags with what he thought was 40 but got a stray 9mm in one of the mags.Fired several rounds thru the gun,when he pulled the trigger next time and got no bang,he pulled the slide back and saw no round in the chamber.So he chambered another round pulled the trigger and "BOOM" big bang.The 9mm was in the barrel,a round of 40 chambered,he fired the gun,the 40 round went of along with the 9mm.It blew the top of the barrel out.The 40 bullet was lodged in the barrel and Had the head stamp from the Remington case on the front of 40 bullet. luckily no one was hurt or killed.Needless to say it is a good idea to watch whats going in the mags while you are loading them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:53:56 PM EDT
[#12]

I don't personally think 5.45x39 looks very much like 5.56x45. The 5.45 round is pretty distinctive looking, and it wouldn't be easy to mistake it for anything else, IMO.

I have done it on 2 occasions, neither time I was shooting the gun.

The first time I didn't know that I had mized the 5.45 with a few 5.56.
THe second time I knew to be on the lookout but I still didn't notice it.

They are both Wolf and have the same overall appearance.  The 5.56 fits nicely into the AK-74 magazine.

Neither time did the gun fire, it just left a light primer tap.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
We were out shooting with my dad and a friend once.  I had just gotten done shooting my .270win.  My dad's friend sat down to shoot the 7mm Rem mag he just bought from my dad.  He was new to firearms and by accident grabbed a .270 round from the box that was still on the bench.  

It fired, and scared the hell out of everyone!  Not a cool deal.  Everyone including the rifle were fine, but an excellent lesson.  NEVER LEAVE OPEN BOXES OF AMMO ON THE BENCH AFTER YOU ARE DONE SHOOTING!  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:24:16 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah i remember that happend at the last ETH shoot.  casing looked weird.......it was cool.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#16]
MAN OH MAN YOU GUYS DON'T MAKE ME FEEL SO BAD. I really thought what a screwup but the fact remains it happened and with lot's of weapons and ammo and a new shooter it had all the makings of danger.I let my guard down for an instant and could of got hurt.I'm glad we can bring this out in the open and learn from it.SEMPER FI BOB
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top