Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2003 4:38:05 PM EDT
Here's a question for you guys in the know:

A friend of mine recently informed me that she has obtained her FFL and Importer's license.

What would it take, and who would I/she have to talk to in order to start importing AK parts kits, mags, etc?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 4:37:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay, cool...

How does one contact said brokers and buyers in Europe?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Have her get some of these kits from Yugoslavia!

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:59:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Knowing how to find and contact *those* people is what makes good suppliers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Hence, why I'm asking around about this...

I'm not looking to become any kind of full-time business doing something like this.  I'm of the mindset that if I don't have the appropriate time to dedicate to something, I'm not going to get heavily involved in it.

It would be nice, however, to find some of these suppliers, and perhaps every now and then get in on a really sweet deal to get some stuff that I want, and maybe provide a surplus of it to the community at a reasonable rate.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I certainly wish you and your friend the best in your business.  However, I think that if you're not pursuing this full-time, it won't be worth the hassles of finding a European supplier, getting all the stuff imported, then selling it at a profit.

I had a very small side business selling preban AR mags on this board for a while, mostly as a fun hobby and to finance my other firearms-related purchases.  But it eventually got to be a pain in the ass, and I didn't want to put in the time or $$$ to make it bigger.  And that was without having to go overseas and deal with the importation hassles, etc.

Best of luck, the AK community can never have too many suppliers with good merchandise and fair prices (for both the seller and buyers.)
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 10:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Allot of the E.Euro gov'ts already have brokers or places to buy surplus stuff. Including guns. I remember seeing such a site for Poland once. You can also trying contacting the current manufacturer and seeing about buying from them or if they could point you in the right direction.

A good idea would be to import stuff that noone else does, or import it for cheaper. For example, no one really offers the modern Polish 5.56 models or new Hungarian parts kits. Or take up where Chief left off and import from Bulgaria for cheaper then K-var. Importers typically charge 2-3 times their cost.

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 2:46:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Moravia Arms is the Czech government licenced dealer. Their site covers the end user certificates and docs.
I'm not sure how much of this applies to parts but it will give you an idea of the complexities involved.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top