Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/10/2003 4:45:53 PM EDT
After firing my friend's SAR-1 today, I decided I have to have one now (I've already got mags and a drum). My main complaint about the rifle is the short stock. I'm 6'3" and it's uncomfortable to shoot this thing with its stubby stock. What are my options as far as getting a longer stock. I know Choate makes a thumbhole style with spacers, but I want to keep the pistol grip style.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#1]
K-var makes some US stocks that are slightly longer. I think 1.25 inch longer. I have a green one and love it. I'm also 6ft3. The stock helps alot. My Vepr is my longest and heaviest AK. It fits me the best. CB
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#2]
ACE Ltd. (www.riflestocks.com, IIRC) can make their skeleton stock extra long for you. I believe it costs a bit extra.

I have one of theirs on my SA85m that's about an inch longer than the NATO length K-VAR stock. I bought it second hand, but it is longer than normal (was special ordered by the guy I got it from). I have pretty long arms and this is MUCH more confortable since I don't anticipate needing to use it with body armor on any time soon, I doubt the extra length will get in the way.

I've got a pic around here somewhere of my stock alongside a NATO length K-VAR polymer stock for comparison if you want to see it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:22:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Actually, the AK is the exact LOP as a M16/M16A1, which is only about 5/8" shorter than a M16A2. Once you get used to the shorter stock, I think you wont ever go back to one that is to long, especially on a rifle that you want to shoulder quickly. Combat rifles all tend to be short stocked. If your only ever going to shoot from a bench...never mind.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...Combat rifles all tend to be short stocked. If your only ever going to shoot from a bench...never mind.

Of course I'm not. I also shoot standing and kneeling at times.

I do understand your point. AKs weren't really designed for midgets and they actually have their short stocks for a reason, but since it's for play I wanted to be more comfortable shooting it. I won't be taking any tactical rifle classes or do any kind of competition with this AK, and the handguns and shotguns would be what I would choose for home defense, so I don't think I'll really have a NEED to shoulder this all that quickly.

I do, of course, admit that it's possible I would change my mind if I put a standard or NATO length stock on it and really compared the two. All I know is that the thumbhole that came on it was supposedly at least as long as, if not longer, than the NATO length stock and it was very tiring for my shoulder and elbow to keep the weapon shouldered when shooting for long periods. I've not fired it with this new stock, but it feels much more natural to me to hold it shouldered for a minute or more.

Once I get myself and AR, that's a slightly different story in that I probably WILL take it through a tactical rifle class eventually and so I won't put an extra long stock on it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Tapco has a 1" rubber extension for $7 that just uses the same screws your stock buttplate has already. Works fine on my SAR1.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
RS39 beat me to it:  here's a pic of the rubber stock extension...you could also put that on the K-Var poly stock and get an extra 2" or so.  

The K-Var stock set:
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:24:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The average Russian conscript was 5'6" The L.O.P. on the rifle was was probably designed around this average. Most US companies design rifles with a shorter L.O.P. because it is easier for a taller person to use a gun w/a shorter L.O.P. than vise-versa. I have a friend that is 6'4" and loves his AK after he put a longer stock w/a recoil pad, and a wider wooden pistol grip. I am 6'1" and I don't have too many problems but I also put the tip on my nose on the back of the top cover for a constant stock weld. But I have been thinking of a Kvar stock. myself
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top