Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2003 6:27:50 AM EDT
I've always been a big AR guy but would like to have at least one AK before I die.  I really don't want to spend anymore than $500 on it, would prefer it to be new or fairly close, want it to be caliber 7.62x39, and would like the classic would furniture also (no thumbhole stock).  What would you guys recommend?  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I've always been a big AR guy but would like to have at least one AK before I die.  

00_, I too felt the urge to have at least one "AK" before I die !!  I'm one of this forums new students and not the member to answer your question but believe me you've come to the right place to get educated on AK's.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:52:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Aim Surplus and get a SAR1. A little tlc, and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a VEPR K.  Owners love them.  It is thought by many to be the best AK available.

Check out:   http://www.robarm.com/  You can get one barely in your price range.

Also, check out this board for more info:
http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/

jAK-47
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Get the Sar-1 for about $325 - $350 and buy a case of ammo and mags.  The Sar is a good first ak.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Handpick a SAR-1, 7.62 x 39, wood furniture, maximum price of $350.

Make sure the front sight block and gas block are not canted.  See this site for more info on Romanian AKs:

www.nothingbutguns.com/linx310/
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Dunno what your stores/shows in Mt are like, but a handpicked SAR1 can not be beat for the money.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:53:40 PM EDT
[#8]
or, buy a kit gun, an OOW receiver, and have one built for around 500
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd like to chime in about getting an SAR1. Then after you fall in love with it, send it to AK USA for the 103 treatment(Straightening, 74 style muzzle break,Gtech trigger group, and a nice powder coating). After that a little Kvar furniture, maybe a Kobra red dot sight and you'll forget all about the AR15. This may sound really expensive, but it's hundreds of dollars cheaper(and more reliable) than an AR. Sorry to rant but I love my AK. After spending four years in the Army with my girlfriend the m16 I have found a new love. It's like dating a fat girl(nothing against fat girls), it's cheap to take out, it'll treat you right, it cooks, you don't have to clean much,and it's got it where it counts.(edited for content)
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd go the kit route described.  If you go with a SAR, then send it to AKUSA for a fixup, then you're still left with a SAR.  Instead, send him a Polish kit for $159 and an OOW receiver ($60) and get it built to taste.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'd go the kit route described.  If you go with a SAR, then send it to AKUSA for a fixup, then you're still left with a SAR.  Instead, send him a Polish kit for $159 and an OOW receiver ($60) and get it built to taste...

This is an excellent idea, but you'll have to buy US compliance parts and a buttstock (the Polish kit from Global Trades www.globaltrades.com/ is an underfolder), which bumps the price up.

The receiver could be modified (I think) to accept the underfolder, which would have to be permanently fixed in the extended position.  However, this also increases the cost.

The Global Trades SSR-56 is very nice, and they're coming out with the new SSR-85C-2 this summer (built on the Polish kit).  As previously mentioned, these will run about $500+.

I personally didn't want to put too much money into my SAR-1, so I just replaced the fire control group with an FSE set, and replaced the rear sight with a "Mojo" aperture from RSA.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:29:39 AM EDT
[#12]
While there a lot of good options for 5 yards you might consider add just a little more and grabbing a VeprII Or VeprK  these are great rifles if not quite traditional well worth checking out.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top