Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2003 5:48:49 PM EDT
My Krebs Custom "AK-74M" has arrived and all I can say is that it is absolutely perfect! I haven't had a chance to take pics yet, but I will very shorty post some in a new thread. For now I will review it in sections:

1. Finish: A very dark, matt, grey-black which is as perfect as that on any AR, and for those who own ARs in addition to AKs, you know that that's a good thing.  Also, the finish appears very light when it's bone-dry (like it was when I first saw the rifle) but it turns a very nice black after you rub some non-dry oil evenly into the finish.  

2. Build: Everything is straight and even and perfectly machined. The rivet work is perfect, and the brake is perfectly welded.  

3. Conversion: You wouldn't be able to tell if you didn't know it was originally a Saiga sporter. The FCG/pistol grip relocation is flawless.  

4. Authenticity: It's not really an AK-74M so much as it is an AK-74N.  For obvious reasons it has no folding AK-100 series buttstock.  It also lacks the magwell "dimples" but even an authenticity freak like myself can overlook that inconsistancy in this case.  If you want an absolute semi-auto replica of an AK-74, I suppose you would be better off with an Inrange build, but the pure perfection of the Krebs is pretty persuasive.  

5. Overall: It's a perfect rifle, I highly recommend it to anyone with an extra grand burning a hole in your pocket. If you want AR build/finish quality in an AK, this is your rifle.  

Also, the people at Krebs (there aren't many) are very nice to deal with. They treat you like a business should, and they will call you sir even though they're the talented gunsmiths and you're just some schmuck.

So, a few months ago I bought a SAR1 on a whim, and now I have a Krebs gun. AKs are definately addictive.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on your purchase, I also own one of Marc's AK-74M's and concure fully with your observations.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Post a pic.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I intend to post pics just as soon as I can borrow a digital camera.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, it seems to have a Bulgarian barrel system installed, although the front trunion doesn't seem to be, as it lacks any Bulgarian markings. The brake is of a different type which I assume is a Krebs-made device.  This, however, doesn't appear to be a bad thing at all, as the brake is of a more Soviet profile anyway and appears to be of very high quality. Interestingly enough the second bayo lug is not ground down so technically I guess the gun does have a bayonet lug, albeit a useless one.

Oh, yeah, and it's really not a Saiga anymore so there's no need to belittle it with that title! Unless of course you call your Inrange rifle an "ohio ordnance works" when people ask what it is
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top