Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2003 6:22:55 PM EDT
Looking to buy the 5.45 VEPR 16" gun.
Wise or not?
I am also getting scared abouth mags and ammo.
The mags aren't available from CDNN at $4 anymore.
Aside from Wolf, am I screwed if they stop importing?
Thanks
V
Link Posted: 1/10/2003 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
7.62x39 VEPR is awesome.  Nice receiver, nice parts.  Shoots very well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
You can't go wrong with a VEPR K...I've got one and thinking about getting another...

Many of the AK pureists don't like the VEPRs because it doesn't have the military style stock and forearm...I have always thought that the AK was lacking in the ergonomics section...The stock set on the VEPR is very ergonomical...the fit and finish are bar none...it's a great buy....My favorite AK...Like it more than my Bulgarian Arsenal AK...

Link Posted: 1/11/2003 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got a "k" in 5.45 with a Red Star Arms trigger.  I also have AR's, HK's, AK's and a "k" in 7.62.  The 5.45 k is my favorite of all.  
Good polymer and bakelites 30 rd mags are still cheap ($7-$10)and plentiful.  
www.aa-ok.com/AK_Accessories/AK_Accessories.htm
www.k-varcorp.com./magazines1.html
There are also several good sources for ammo. This is my favorite.  ammunitionstore.com/  I've stocked up on both mags and ammo in case of any temporary shortages.  But, I think as long as they can still import .223, there will always be 5.45.

Get the VEPR.

Link Posted: 1/11/2003 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can afford the vepr, get it!! They are undeniably one of the most awesome ak's out there. The sheer quality and accuracy for an AK is amazing. They cost near the price of a kit built AR15, but are worth it. In fact I almost bought one late last year, but decided on an AR just for ammo and parts availability. I plan on buying the Vepr AK74 model and a Saiga 12 sometime this year. A true modernized AKs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#6]
The Vepr is in a class of its own. It is not the classic AK. It has great quality and performance. I have one in .308 and love it. CB
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:15:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Before I bought my VEPR II 7.62x39mm, I looked at them ALL over the course of 6 months.  The quality and workmanship of the VEPR is in a class of its own regarding AKs.  Sure it is a lot of money, but you get a lot of rifle.  After the purchase, I was not disappointed at the range either.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 11:48:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Im thinking of getting one I got a 7.62x39 sks.  would it be a petter choice to get it in 7.62 or 5.45
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top