Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2003 1:16:01 PM EDT
The Indy 1500 Gun Show is coming up soon, and I'm looking at getting an AK. What should I look for? What should I be expecting to pay?

What can I fetch a Russian made one for?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 1:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
 The Romanian SAR 1 or SAR 2 are probably going to be the cheapest you see.
 Russian AK's in full military configuration you will not see, although there are plenty of good Saiga Kalashnikov hunting rifles around.  They do not have pistol grips and do not use the military 30 round magazines.  They are, however, all Russian.
 Whatever type: look down at it from the top.  The rear sight, the gas tube and the front sight should all be on one straight line.
 If I were you doing this I would get a good, straight Romanian SAR 1 in 7.62x39 and I would not feel cheated to pay around 350 bucks.  You may find them for less.
 Remember the day, this is the start of one of the loves of your life.

Link Posted: 1/5/2003 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea, because here's my "wanted list" as of today, lol:

AR15, Glock 27, AK47, Remington 870

I could probably walk away with an 870 and an ak for about 500 to 600 bucks, and if I really wanted to, get the G27 for 4, or 500 bucks.

Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 1/5/2003 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah,

Look for a short barrel Saiga in 308, non PG.  Lots of juice in a small package.  Very innocent looking and will take all kinds of optics.  If I wasn't building shorty FALs, I'd grab one.  I would recommend the SAR-2 over the SAR-1.  Better range and accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 12:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm really new to the world of AK's. So these questions probably sound really stupid, but I'm more of an AR and handgun kinda guy... Anyway, are the cheapo Romanian AK-47's any good?
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:37:54 PM EDT
[#5]
though i don't own one personally, i think everyone on this board will tell you pretty much the same thing:  

The SAR series are ugly, but will shoot forever.
Link Posted: 1/6/2003 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top