Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/3/2003 7:36:07 PM EDT
I know we would buy some if they would make some, wouldn't we?

Would help out on the parts count and all!
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#1]
They are working on it.  The problem is, for every "purist" like you and I, there are plenty of guys out there who prefer the longer buttstock that they offer, and they have to go with guaranteed sales before they can cater to us.

Supposedly, these US made standard length buttstocks should be available this year.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Perhaps because there's a butt load of Bulgarian stocks they already have. As for parts, just change the selector switch to a Krebs Custom selector. Also, would it help to use an American handguard and a Bulgarian buttstock? I'm not sure if the whole stock set counts as one part or two. The pistol grip should be American too.

themao
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:23:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd probably by a set of the OD stocks, if they were the right length. I was just going to paint a set of the black ones. I still dont know why people insist on the longer stocks. It definitly makes the gun harder to shoulder quickly. In reality, the AK is "exectly" the same LOP as the M16/M16A1, thats why I have those stocks on my AR's. All "combat" rifles are short stocked, just look at the real ones.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately the selector is not one of the parts that count towards the infamous "US parts count".  You can't just swap out any US part and count it.  There's a list of what the ATF counts towards the parts count, and if it's not on the list, it does you no good towards your US parts.  Swaping in a selector/safety does you no good (i.e. it doesn't count as a US part).

I personally find the K-var length to be too long.  I like the original length, and my Bulgy SLR-95 has an Ace stock, which is in between the two and really perfect.  

Ross
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 6:26:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Well , you CAN use the foreign buttstock and
handguards on any SAR rifle , and at least the
buttstock on most  Saiga conversions.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I still dont know why people insist on the longer stocks. It definitly makes the gun harder to shoulder quickly. In reality, the AK is "exectly" the same LOP as the M16/M16A1, thats why I have those stocks on my AR's. All "combat" rifles are short stocked, just look at the real ones.

Well, we aren't all dwarves.

At 6'4" tall, the AK stock and the A1 stock are way short for me and uncomfortable for any sort of extended, from the shoulder, firing.

My ARs have A2 length stocks (or even longer, with the CavArms stock). My AKs have US stocks of some version, except for my sole remaining SAR1 and a 56s-1 underfolder on its way to me now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#7]
It has NOTHING to do with being a dwarf! It has to do with PROPER shooting style. The Russians are not small statured people. Some folks just use an improper "Musket" shooting style, thats all.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a MAADI which required two more US parts if I wanted to use non-modified mags.  I like the original length stock.  I called K-Var and ordered a set with US forward grips (2 parts but counts as 1), US pistol grip, and Bulgy stock.  Two US parts (both marked), short stock, BINGO.  The the mix and match set cost $76 before S&H IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
It has NOTHING to do with being a dwarf! It has to do with PROPER shooting style. The Russians are not small statured people. Some folks just use an improper "Musket" shooting style, thats all.  

Nope. They just preseumed that the shooter would be wearing a 3" layer of heavy winter clothing.

Using "proper" shooting style, the AK stock is too short for most people over 6' tall.  Which is a small pecentage of the population.

Link Posted: 1/4/2003 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Can you describe what you mean by "proper" shooting style. This can vary, especially if your talking target vs. combat. I dont think the clothing was really the issue, our troops didnt need 3" of clothing with the M16's. Even the M1/M14 are short stocked, along with just about any other combat type rifle out there, auto or bolt. I think it has more to do with being quicker to mount. Some also point out its easier to adapt to a shorter stock than to one thats to long. Whatever the reason, they are all shorter than longer, except KVAR's.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Proper shoting style would be nose to charging handle on the AR and nose to the rear corner of the reciever cover on the AK along with keeping a tight cheek weld on top of the stock to allow a consistant, repeatable under stress sight picture and quick follow thru under recoil.  Ideally, you should recoil back to very close to where your previous point of aim was.
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know about you guys, but I buy military weapons with the hope of getting as much of the military shooting experience as possible. If the standard AK stock were a 6" metal spike protruding from the receiver, that's what I would want on my gun. Only my feelings though.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If the standard AK stock were a 6" metal spike protruding from the receiver, that's what I would want on my gun.  

GOOD one!
Link Posted: 1/4/2003 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I love the standard length, but I'm pretty damn short(5'6").  The added benifit is since the winters get cold here, I can still comfortably shoot when fully bundled up.

A standard lenght butt would be nice for compliance purposes for some, but since I shoot a SAR, it doesn't matter-I've got enough US parts I can use a foreign buttstock and handguards.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top