Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2002 10:15:56 PM EDT
I just picked up this ITM AK-74, the guy that sold it to me told me it was built by Ohio Rapid Fire.  The "rivet work" looks like, well it looks like this:

Is this normal?

Yes CAMPY, I know you can't see the pic, but I already sent you this one a few days ago.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I cannot see that well, but are the bucktails on the outside of the receiver?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 7:16:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I know that Mike at ORF goes both ways on the rivets/screws.  I've seen his work on rivets as well as screws.  From the picture posted, I would say the rivets in question are not necessarily "factory perfect" but function nonetheless.  

If it's an aesthetics issue, then maybe a call to ORF may help the situation out?  

Let us know.

KF
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 9:52:23 AM EDT
[#4]
ORF told me that they use screws and then weld them to look like rivits.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#5]
These are rivets.  I've actually been there when Mike is in the Assembly Room working, and I've seen his work...both rivets and screws.

They now prefer to use screws (with weld) and the weapon in question is an earlier 74 job.

KF
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#6]
So let me get this straight.....ORF screws the rifles together then welds over the top of the screw to make it resemble a rivet head or does the weld some how hold the screw in place? I still need to get the headspacing checked and would like to get a nice park job done on my Bulgie 74, but wonder how the screws will hold up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
The last time I spoke with Mike at ORF, he was considering welding the thread side of the screw also.  Makes it kind of permanent and works better than Loctite.....

Anyway, I think Mike will be along soon on this thread so I'll wait to hear more from him.

Take care,

KF
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 8:17:00 PM EDT
[#8]
"your plum furniture looks very nice! but, you have defiled your russian plums with bulgarian parts...and worse yet...a receiver from my home state! muwahahahaha!"

Yeah, but it looks good plum, from a distance that is, hehe.

"if you want to sell it, drop me a line!"

Yeah, going to sell it, was going to wait until after my AKS-74 project was done, will "drop you a line" later.

"From the picture posted, I would say the rivets in question are not necessarily "factory perfect" but function nonetheless. If it's an aesthetics issue, then maybe a call to ORF may help the situation out?"

Yes functional, and not "factory perfect" is one way to put it.  I might just give em a call tomorrow.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top