Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/29/2002 5:07:24 PM EDT
Hello all, I just registered with this page, and I hope you can help me. I've done the AR thing, and now I'm looking for an AK. Would I be better off if I purchased a parts kit and a receiver or should I purchase one ready to go out of the box? What is the best AK for my $$$
What should I look for? I already have the mags and ammo in 7.62x39. Thank you for your time.
                           Beerbellybo
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a 7.62 AK I would go with the Sar1. You can get one over the internet under $300 plus shipping and transfer. Just watch for canted sight and gas block if you purchase in person. If you want better fit and finish [more$] SSR85 or Vepr if you don't want a traditional AK. The Sar will perform with any of them. You can make improvements in apearance later. CB
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
SAM7 By Arsenal Inc. About double the amount of the SAR but an excellent AK!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:25:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#4]
why not a Bulgy SLR?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
SAR1 is a great starter AK. If you can hand pick at a show, look it over for straight sights/gas block, feel for any unusually big hitches in the action, side rail scope mount parallel to the bore/receiver. They are much less likely to have QC issues than 1999-2000 models. If the trigger needs help, we can type you thru it, or good replacements start at $40.
NIcer AKs are out there, but the best shooter AKs for my money are SARs in any caliber.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:39:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I see things a little differently. You see I'm stuck in the PRK, so I have no choice in the matter except for what I have already. My opinion is *if* you are in a free state then go for broke. If you're getting a 7.62 then screw the SAR-1. The barrel looks so damn thin to me, maybe it just looks that way?. Go for a pre-ban MAK-90 and make people eyes go (open-wide) and show off the bayo lug and folding stock! Go for what you like. Now if you're interested in a 5.45 weapon then pick up the SAR, like someone already stated you can upgrade it later.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
There is big community of newbie AK fans due to the Romanian SAR series. I admit to being one of them, I started off with a Romanian Wum-1 in 96 If my memory serves me right. Now contrary to webpages you may have seen dedicated to solely Romanian rifles who would have you believe the WUM-1 was highly undesirable it's a fine gun. The problem with the receiver was the odd semi-circular cut out. From what I've seen is that the pre-SAR rifles are a little better in that they don't look like a cheap-ass rifle.

Now when I left Cali for an east coast duty assignment I searched other types of AK's. You would be surprised by the difference in quality and craftsmanship in other AK's.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I'm leaning towards an SAR-1 (Can't wait till my AR buddies find out, GOD HELP ME!) Sooooo what about them damn parts kits? I never put together an AK from scratch before. I've done the AR's with not to many problems, but how about them AK's? Is this an easy project compared to the AR's? Or should I just have my local gun shop order me one of them damn things?
Thanks again.
                             Beerbellybo
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IGo for a pre-ban MAK-90 and make people eyes go (open-wide) and show off the bayo lug and folding stock!

No such thing as a "pre-ban MAK-90". The operative ban related to the MAK is the 1989 import ban. The MAK can't have any of the fun evil features (folder, flash hider), and, in fact, requires the replacement of a number of parts with US made versions to legally replace the ugly thumbhole stock with a standard stock and pistol grip

Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#10]
When I said MAK-90. I wasn't refering to the NHM-90(no evil features/ thumbhole) by Norinco. I was refering to the Poly Tech AKS-762(WS)or AKS-762(DF). Also the Norinco AKS (evil bayo/ folding stock). These rifles were imported by either PTK International or Pacific International Merchandising Corp.

Or the Egyptian Maadi ARM - all the evil features.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 6:46:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When I said MAK-90. I wasn't refering to the NHM-90(no evil features/ thumbhole) by Norinco. I was refering to the Poly Tech AKS-762(WS)or AKS-762(DF). Also the Norinco AKS (evil bayo/ folding stock). These rifles were imported by either PTK International or Pacific International Merchandising Corp.

Or the Egyptian Maadi ARM - all the evil features.

I'm not referreing to the NHM either, nor the other rifles you mentioned. The MAK-90 is a specific model of Norinco rifle.

All rifles marked MAK-90 are postban. Saying anything else just confuses the issue.

Link Posted: 12/31/2002 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#12]
If you want a SAR1, best is to find a gun show and hand pick, for under $350 out the door. Otherwise call aimsurplus (about $280 plus shipping and dealer fee), or another vendor which does not sell the WASR as a SAR. WASR is a single stack lo-cap rifle to start, and the mag well/feed ramp mods are not normally done gracefully.

Parts kits are not as cheap as a SAR when you are done. Ballpark $225 for kit and receiver, assume US receiver, add $60 for basic gas piston and HTS set to get the Fed parts count right. Then the receiver needs some minor mods as they are not as exactly std as AR parts, riveting, refinishing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#13]
 SAR 1.  Hot to trot out of the box.  Make her hot, make her dirty.  She loves it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 11:13:43 AM EDT
[#14]
so which one is it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:20:50 PM EDT
[#15]
FireControlman,
             If I'm the the one your asking, well I'll tell ya. It's going to be a Bulgarian AK 74, from a parts kit. All I have to do is find a receiver that isn't a piece of junk. Do you know of any outfits in SHOTGUN NEWS that I can trust? I'm also going to need a book or video to help me in the assembly process. Do you know who has these? `
                          Thanks,
                          Beerbellybo
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 6:45:05 AM EDT
[#16]
thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#17]
308wood - you got an itch too?
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
FireControlman,
             If I'm the the one your asking, well I'll tell ya. It's going to be a Bulgarian AK 74, from a parts kit. All I have to do is find a receiver that isn't a piece of junk. Do you know of any outfits in SHOTGUN NEWS that I can trust? I'm also going to need a book or video to help me in the assembly process. Do you know who has these? `
                          Thanks,
                          Beerbellybo

www.ohioordnanceworks.com and do a search under "AK".

As for building it yourself it would not be easy for someone to barrel the reciever without some know how(experience) and special tools. There are outfits who will gladly do so for you. At least have them assemble barrel, trunions and receiver for you.
Link Posted: 1/3/2003 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#19]
for a starer, i'd also second the SAR1.

total cost (including transfer and shipping if you can't find one locally) should be well under $350.  Perfect for a starter that you can shoot all kinds of crap ammo through.  

I mean 'come on.  $329.00 for mine.  cheap as a bersa thunder.  :)

I got the Kvar mount and put a cheap-o BSA scope....  fun as hell!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top