Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2002 6:26:53 PM EDT
I recently bought my first AK type rifle, a Romanian SAR-1 (as a Christmas present to myself)and today was the first time I fired it.  It's from Century Arms and I bought it new. It came with a 10 and 30 round magazine. When using the 10 round magazine it's fine and didn't jam once (I fired about 250 rounds through it).  However the 30 round magazine would jam after every 3-4 rounds.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?  Is there metal I should file down or something? Or is it just a bad mag and I should get a new one?  Any help would be appreciated.

edited to add: when jammed to bullet was still in the magazine.  It would not enter the chamber.  It looked like it might have been catching on something.

P.S. It was a hell of a lot of fun when it was firing, and pretty accurate too.  I think I've found a new favorite gun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What? And I was under the impression AK's NEVER jammed..........
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy or borrow another mag.  You know you need more than one.  If the replacement mag eliminates the feeding problem then repalce the mag parts with American.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure that your rifle is an SAR-1 and not a WASR rework?

Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
it's not the mag it's the US part's in it
sale it and get a good preban
my ak has had 7000+ rds never a jam
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are you sure that your rifle is an SAR-1 and not a WASR rework?

Actually, that was my first thought as well. It wouldn't be the first time a WASR conversion would have been sold as a "SAR-1".
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Look on the left side of the receiver, does it say SAR? The WASR is a single stack mag gun, which Dremel Dude then widens the mag well, and may or may not try to do something about the feedlips. Based on your info so far, sounds like a poorly converted lo-cap to hi-cap gun.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 2:12:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I checked and it's an SAR-1.  It says:

SAR-1
Cal.7.62x39mm

The other side says:

Made by CM Romarm SA/Cugir
In Romania
Imported CAI Georgia,VT

Can anyone suggest any quality mags that I should pick up?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:04:36 AM EDT
[#9]
 Any EasternBloc magazine should work fine.
Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian etc.  And the Chinese.
 In the mean time, if you find yourself shooting, make sure that when you load the magazine all the rounds are seated so that they are against the rear of the magazine.

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:36:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

use a small file or stone and lightly deburr the feed lips and front edges of the mag body.remove the mag's floor plate, spring and follower. stone the edges of the follower and clean the follower and inside of the mag body. lightly oil and reassemble.

lightly stone the leading edges of the feed ramp that is riveted to the trunnion of the rifle (this is the small plate right in front, and just below, the chamber opening in the barrel).

What kind of dremel/drill stone do you suggest?

Well I would not feel so all alone,
Every gun must get stoned.
Ooops, wrong Bob...
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Did you disassemble and clean before firing?
SAR's are notorious for being full of
grease and grit out of the box.

And yes try a new mag before doing any
filing or stoning.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top