Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2002 6:13:58 AM EDT
Guys have a question for you.  I've been wanting to get an AK103 style rifle.  As far as available Saiga conversions I like the AK USA one the best.  The only thing I don't like about the converted saiga's is the lack of magwell dimples.  So I thought take a SAR1 and replace all the parts (other than the receiver, trunnions, and scopemount)with Bulgarian and US parts.  

Do you think the quality of the modified SAR will be as good as the Saiga.  I know it will cost more (I already got some quotes).
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 7:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm curious why?  You have a lot more experience than I do.
Link Posted: 12/20/2002 4:54:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey my man!  Go with the AK103.  It's not all that tough to do it yourself, but the parts do add up if you want to do it correctly (kvar furniture, correct FSB, us parts, correct gas block, refinish, etc).  If you want it complete to your door, www.ak-103.com has the best thing going as far as I'm concerned.  The Hesse conversion really isn't all that bad either, but the stock is a complete POS...replace that ASAP if you go that route.

The SARs are fun, but the machining on the Saigas is better.  The 103's also have a certain 'cool factor' to them when compared to a SAR:)
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The lack of receiver dimples is also my holdup on the Saiga.I know the quality is better and I really like the receiver markings but,an AKM should have receiver dimples.If you can find a Maadi ARM,you are very close to having a Russian AKM.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top