User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/16/2002 1:50:30 PM EDT
The two I'm looking at are both ak-103k carbines.  Here they are:

http://www.krebscustom.com/KalashnikovRifles.html

OR

http://www.ak-103.com

Does anyone have any feedback about either one of these?  I'm fairly new to the AK, so I don't want to get stuck with a piece of crap.

Thanks in advance for your help...
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I myself like the AK-103 clones. I am expecting mine any day from Solstice Arms. As for Krebs Custom and AK-USA, I have heard nothing but positive responses from past customers. I say "Go for it!"
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
what is the cost of one from solstice arms?  and what kind of warranty do they carry?
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 2:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the Krebs AK103K's. Great little rifle. I've got around 3000 rounds through it now, without any problems. Feeds everything I put in it and if I do my part, get around 4" groups at 100 yards. It has a real nice trigger and the brake works great.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Ditto what AK103K said.

I love my Krebs.  Its cooler than hell looking (looking at it right now), well built,works great, and Mark will stand behind his work.

Here it is next to my other baby, my pre-ban Galil:

Link Posted: 12/17/2002 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Lumpy, nice mag in the Galil.  Is it South African?  Where did you get it?
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, it is a South African Polymer R4 magazine.  I picked 6 up from a guy in Missouri years ago who was selling a bunch of R4 parts.  I wish I had got more.  I've abused the hell out of them and only had one go down with a feed lip crack.  They arent as tough as the steel ones, but they DO work.  I heard from a police officer in SA once that they arent that popular there for hard use, and they are considered totally disposable.  

Sorry for temporarily hi-jacking the thread
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
what is the cost of one from solstice arms?  and what kind of warranty do they carry?

All the rifles that Solstice Arms builds are made to customer's specifications. I don't think that they even have rifles already built to sell. Prices will vary depending on the rifle's configuration. As for warranty I have no idea, but I'm sure Gary would fix anything that may go wrong. Solstice Arms is gearing up to do the Limited Edition Group Purchase (LEGP) AK for AR15.COM. They aren't going to start the project until all backorders are filled, which should be in the next month or so. You may want to wait and check it out.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I've heard very good things about both AK103.com and Krebs.  Krebs is a little on the high side, BUT, he does have the rep that goes with it that can get that price.

Solstice Arms (Gary Gucciano), is not currently taking new work.  He's working as fast as he can to catch up on a significant back log.  I just got off the phone with him actually.

The time table M4Madness gave of next month is extremely optimistic, I'd say it will be more than a couple of months if everything is going the way Gary said it is.  He does excellent work, he just became a victim of his own fame, and is trying to clear the backlog in order to be fair to his existing customers.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#9]
everyone,

thanks for your input and help...

templar,

so, do you think i should go with the cheaper ak-usa or shell out the extra $200 for the kreb's.  i guess what i'm asking is:  is the kreb's worth it?

thanks again!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
everyone,

thanks for your input and help...

templar,

so, do you think i should go with the cheaper ak-usa or shell out the extra $200 for the kreb's.  i guess what i'm asking is:  is the kreb's worth it?

thanks again!

Fowler, interesting reading here on Krebs v. AK USA:

headsbunker.nothingbutguns.com/html/ak103.html

edited to add: link appears down as of 7:50pm PST...check on it later.  It's what made my AK103K decision.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Lumpy, nice mag in the Galil.  Is it South African?  Where did you get it?

Ugh, check your IM
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 7:23:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Here is a review of the AK-USA rifle.

bellsouthpwp.net/t/r/trentmh/Ak-103K.htm

One nice thing about AK-USA they offer to weld the original trigger holes so you can't see them.  Is Krebs offering this?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#13]
AK-USA bought DGS's equipment, but they produce a far better product than DGS. DGS had a lot of problems apparently. As for Krebs vs. AK-USA, I have no idea. I think AK-USA is a better deal, since the Krebs rifle will cost a little more. Although I did notice that (unless it's a type), Krebs lowered the price of their AK-103 from $1100 to $800. Competition I presume?

themao
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#14]
From the pics on the Krebs website, it looks like the cleaning rod retaining loops are not on the gas block and front site, but are separate items pinned on the barrel.  Am I seeing this right?
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#15]
My Krebs 103K is as you saw. Its cleaning rod has its own fitting that is pinned to the barrel. It only has one and it fills the spot between the front sight and the gas block. The cleaning rod on mine has actually been cut down and isnt threaded nor does it have a slot, so I guess its more for looks than actual use. It would work, but the brake is welded on, so I guess its moot.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top