Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2002 3:14:03 PM EDT
I have been pondering something and I'm sure others have as well. First, let's assume that the '94 AW Ban sunsets and is not replaced. The '89 Import Ban will still be in effect regardless. Will it be legal to put "evil" features (folding stocks, etc.) on imported post-ban rifles such as AK variants? I was thinking that I read something along the lines of an imported rifle cannot be modified if the modified version is illegal for importation. The '89 Ban stops importation of rifles with "evil" features, so I feel that it would be illegal to add them to post-ban imports even if the '94 Ban sunsets. Any thoughts on the subject?
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO it would be okay provided you had the correct number of US manufactured parts. But I am not a lawyer...
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
If we're confused about all of this, just imagine the criminals! They probably give up and just wind up not modifing anything to be safe.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 3:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If we're confused about all of this, just imagine the criminals! They probably give up and just wind up not modifing anything to be safe.

LOL.
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:51:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah, I think that betting on the sunset of this is a pipedream.

I think along the same lines as you, RotDorn. In fact, I wouldn't doubt that it will be replaced with something worse. The next two years are going to see me in a buying frenzy, especially the pre-ban imports. I don't want to touch any more domestic pre-bans for fear the ban will sunset leaving me paying twice as much. I'll wait and see what happens first.

So, Campybob, are you saying that "evil" features will be legal for post-ban imports if the '94 Ban sunsets? If so, I don't fully understand. The '89 Ban will still be in place, so adding "evil" features would be circumventing the '89 Ban. Please explain. Thanks!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top