Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/6/2002 6:31:13 PM EDT
Howdy

I'm getting ready to purchase my first MAK-90. I have a friend who is selling me his. Now... I understand the AWB as it pertains to an AR. This rifle has no bayonet lug or flash hider. Can someone explain the deal about having american made parts in the rifle? AK's are new turf to me. Danke!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It should be fine as-is. If you want to have a pistol grip however, you'll need to install 6 US made parts. I think the most common are: Gas piston, RSA (or other US made) trigger group, and the furniture. I think all that would be 6 or more, but you better wait on another answer.

Anywho, that's the concept - maybe someone will chime in with the best parts to replace.

You won't regret turning to the dark side!
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
putting on a pistol grip is a necessity. I am a lefty, and a thumbhole stock is a big no no (they don't work well left handed ;) )

So, if i put in 6 american made parts, i can legally put on a stock and pistol grip? Does the stock and pistol grip count as 2 of the 6 parts? Also, what about a pin on AK-74 style muzzle break...are there any legal parameters with mounting one of them? Is it one or the other.. pistol grip or muzzle break?

Thanks for the help! it's greatly appreciated. I've done a few searches, but come up empty.
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#3]
No, you can have both. I think that if the brake is US made no other modifications would be needed (aside from the 6 needed parts for the pistol grip), but I've seen some troubles in this department when using an imported brake. I do not know if that part counts in the parts count, but I don't think so. Once again, I'm not much help. You'll probably see a good answer from a regular here sometime in the morning. I'd like to refine my parts count knowlege too, so I'll be awaiting this answer like you. I'm fairly certain that 6 parts will allow you to put on a pistol grip. I believe that the FCG is 3 parts, piston is 1, and furniture is 2, and I may be wrong about the brake not counting, hell I might be compleetly off on what parts count, but hopefully this will be something to chew on till tomorrow..
Link Posted: 12/6/2002 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info. The general feeling im getting is that if you replace 6 parts, it takes on the same specs as any other post ban semi auto....only 1 evil feature, plus detachable mags. MAkes sense. I was jsut unsure of the replacement part thing. I'll check back later.. see what comes about.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 3:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 4:06:19 AM EDT
[#6]
If I put in 6 american parts and leave my thumbhole, I still have to permanently attach the muzzle brake if I thread the barrel instead of using a pin-on?

-Nuke
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 5:11:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Nam, I would really urge you to think twice about the pin on break.

The amount of recoil they reduce is so small, that my Bulgarian AK that weighs more has less recoil without the break.

Also, it is a rust magnet.  You littlerally have to take it off for several days and clean very well each time it is shot.  If it sits for any amount of time in a semi moist area it will still rust on you.  

I keep mine off and install before going to the range.  I realy don't know why I mess with it.

Otherwise, my MAK-90 is a fine weapon. Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/7/2002 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#8]
obershutze916,

I'll be perfectly honest...the rifle already has the pin on muzzle break. I'm buying it form a friend. I'm not too sure that he knows the laws, so i want to make sure everything is on the "up and up" before i buy it. I am not going to buy an illegal AW. That's why im checking up first. I want to make sure it is compliant before the pistol grip and stuff goes on. The thumbhole jsut won't cut it for me.

So....6 american made parts is the verdict? That's not bad at all.... concidering the stock and pistol grip i am thinking of using are both american made. Now... with the fire control parts...they are all riveted in it appears. How in the hell do you get these parts out???

I'm prolly goign to go american stock, grip, fire control parts, and gas piston.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top