Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/30/2002 6:16:29 AM EDT
Im new at AK's. So please forgive me when I ask a dumb question.Now I have figured out everything on AK's can't be swapped out and then you just pull the trigger.The Bulgie bolt and carrier is different than a Romainian. Here's my question.I have a SSR 85B with the rear adjustable sight.It's crap. As far as being adjustable it works great.But the tiny knotch you cant pick up the front sight in.My groups looked like a shot gun blast. All over the place.I try to open it up alittle but the blade is really short and its not as tall as a standard rear sight .I would like to just replace it with a Standard rear sight.Are all the rear sights going to calibrated  to swap out on a different countrys rifle.I know I have to get one for an AK 47 .Thanks alot War Dawg
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi War,
 The AK sights are ranged in two styles.  One for 1000m and one for 800m.  Just use the one with the same #'s as on your original sight.  I've never tried to swap them out, or bothered to try to hit a target over 150 yards. You get 6 inch groups after two hundred meters anyway.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 85C that I put one of the RPK adjustable sites on. My guns front sight was so far to the left that I couldnt stand it. The RPK solved the problem. I've changed the rear sight on a couple of AK's and have found that some of the sights are a different overall length. This seems to affect the elevation of the front sight alot. If your front post is in a reasonable spot, ie. not poking out of the top of the "ears", I'd try to get a rear sight thats the same length as the one you have. The Chinese sights I have are definitely shorter than the Russian sights on my Saiga, just as an example. I guess the other thing you need to address is the caliber of the gun and the geometry of the ramps due to this, if it really matters.
Link Posted: 11/30/2002 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I went out and bought a needle file set and filed the slot deeper and wider.I then blued it back and it looks pretty good.I can at least find the front sight pin now. The main problem I was haveing before was the slot was to  narrow and not deep anough. The dern front sight pin was as wide as the dern slot.It made finding it kinda hard. In low light you could forget it.That seems to corrected. Thanks for the replys,War Dawg.
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 5:11:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top