Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/25/2002 10:15:43 PM EDT
Well, although I haven't yet resolved the issues in my last thread, I thought that for lack of better information (and that wonderful search function) I'd have to ask a few things...

At first I was all on for a SAR-1, but now I have seen a few other things for similar prices and it makes me wonder. First off, if I were to get a Norinco MAK-90 for only slightly more then the SAR, then change it to pistol-grip config (with the neccesary US parts of course) would I have a much better rifle then the SAR as far as quality?  Second, where does the Egyptian Maadi fall into all this? I've read a few things suggesting they were undesirable, but I have seen them already converted to pistol-grip config for only a little more then most SARs. Are they of bad quality?

I'm sure it's all been run through many times, but for the lack of the search, I've gotta bring it back.  

thanks

NOTE: the damn spellchecker wouldn't load!
Link Posted: 11/25/2002 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I know u didn't list this and it costs twice as much as a sar-1 but oh well.  Get a SAM-7 the fit and finish is outstanding compared to most ak47's. With the hammer forged barrel it is much more accurate than most as well.  The finish is so nice i can't touch my friends sar-1 without cringing anymore.  At first i thought to myself i could have 2 ak's for that price but after handling one in a local shop i didn't really care and never looked back.
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 2:35:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I own both a Maadi and several Chinese guns, both Norinco and Poly Tech.  Though I have no personal experience with the European guns, the ones I have seen at shows seem crude by comparison.

Overall, the Chinese guns are better finished than the Maadi.  However, there are significant variations between the guns.  For instance, my folding stock Norinco is almost commercial quality in finish.  The weld spots on the reciever are so perfect, they're almost decorative in appearance.  The heavy barrel NHM 91, by comparison, has welds that are crude and ugly. It still, however looks good compared to the Euro pieces I've seen.

The bottom line is, you have to see and handle each piece to decide what you like best.  I don't think you can draw any conclusions based on maker or model number. If you find one that looks good, that's probably the one to buy. For instance, my Maadi was one of about 15 I looked at, at a gun show;  so it looks pretty good; but I still had to replace the front sight , cause the original was crooked and I didn't spot it til I got home.

Good luck with your search
Link Posted: 11/26/2002 3:41:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top