Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/22/2002 5:51:28 PM EDT
Gentlemen of the Forum,

I've been reading everything I can on this gun in the last few days.  Please help me with the details.

I am going to the "Dealer" tomorrow (23 NOV) to work up a lay-away deal for a Norinco NHM-91.

It has the number '92' stamped on it.
It has no rivet in the mag well that I could detect.
It has a cap on the threaded muzzle that appears NOT to be threaded or pinned.
It DID take the 5-rd. mag that comes with the rifle as well as a Bulgarian 30-rd. with the thin protruding spine; another 30-rd. mag with a flat spine; and the 75-rd. drum.  All locked into place.
It has the big-ass bipod.
It has the sort of rosewood colored thumbhole stock set.
It appears to be unfired.

Now, I think I've done a LOT of research on this gun and understand the "post-ban/pre-ban" status to mean: PRE-'89 and POST-'89 as the guns were not imported after '94, making this unit a POST-BAN as far as its value.
I believe I actually know more about this stuff than the dealer because I'm a total maniac!
I like the dealer and want to make the deal as he's assisting by allowing me to purchase over time, but, I don't want to get reamed, either.
I've seen these guns going from $350-600, depending on what was sold with the firearm itself in the way of magazines, ammo, stockset, etc.

Tell me what I need to know when we talk a deal.
THANK YOU.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I replied on "the other site" as well...

I would highly recommend the gun if you like it. Alot of the negative reviews I've read of these rifles seems to come from folks who didn't like what they thought they had. I love mine, always looking for another for the "right price". I sold my second one to a friend after they dried up, no profit to speak of. My NHM91 is the most accurate 7.62x39 rifle I own (and yeah, I've got a few....) Go for the best price you can get and I would say go no higher than $500 and at that price there should be mags included as well as the original accessories. I base the price more on Impactguns price more so than actual value or auction prices. Their brand new "stash" at $450 and cost to an FFL is pretty close to $500 out the door.
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Do the deal.  I got my NHM91 back in '92 right after Clinton was elected.  Still got it today.

It rocks like a mutha when you bump fire.  Something about the longer/heavier barrel just balances it just right when bumping....

KF
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#3]
(This is the result of the inquiry today...)

Thanks, guys for the input.
I went up there today and he wanted $550 for the rifle and 5-rd. mag.  
I politely stated that was a little pricey for me and said I'd check back another time.

Somebody had asked $550 for the same rifle, 4 30-rd. and a 75-rd. drum plus a sling --- shipped!  That was a while ago on another forum, but, it was the deal I was looking for.
The dealer said to 'buy from that guy'.
 Also told me someone offered him $895 for the rifle, but, I didn't respond with 'well, you should have sold it to that guy...'

Last night I decided if he wouldn't throw in some mags or something to make the deal worthwhile, I'd skip it and hold out for the VEPR!
Russian rifle with Russian optics.  
The VEPR would mount the bipod (Harris) under the forend for better accuracy, anyway.
I'll just have to find some good Russian mags and use my CHINESE 75-rd. drum for fun and pictures!

Guess I'll be goin' Russky after the first of the year.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:00:54 AM EDT
[#4]
That was a bit much for the rifle and just one mag.  Wait for the VEPR or another NHM when the opportunity comes again.

KF
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 4:53:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2002 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, gentlemen.

I think backing out was the right thing to do.
I just woke up and don't feel like I got an ass-reaming from yesterday!

The dealer is almost always $100 higher than anyone else, so, according to what I've gleaned from the various sites and forums, he was consistant with this figure on this one, too.

Glad I waited.

It's gonna be the "BLACK RUSSIAN", then!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top