Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/15/2002 8:12:55 PM EDT
Ok guys I'm ready to make the jump to buy my first AK and don't want to wait for the group buy.  I like the 7.62 but my buds tell me the 5.45 is more accurate and nastier.  I noticed that the 5.45 round is a little harder to find and about $30 more per 1k rnds.  I will be using this for fun and would like to go out to 200 yards if at all possible.  The SAR-1 seems to have more options available, especially when it comes to mags.  I only see the ugly orange mags for the SAR-2 but I do love the brake that can be had.  I guess I really can't decide so I thought you experts could lead me in the right direction.
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:16:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the SAR-2. Less kick. The bullet is one killer of a round (Even to vehicles, went through my floor twice and my gas tank!) and I find at least in my area the rounds are the same as 7.63x39mm you wont be sorry dude!
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with the SAR1 - primarily because it is the "traditional" round for the AK47.  Mags and ammo seem more plentiful in 7.62 as well...
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Ammo price between the two is about the same if you look around. At the time 5.45 is a little short on supply as everyone has found out how great they are.  I think this will improve in the future. More demand will bring more supply and keep prices down.

Both rifles can be accesorized about to about the same degree.  K-VAR has most of what you need. They have Black Bugarian polymer mags for both calibers for about $10 each. They are nicer than the bakelite and look much "cooler".

If you are used to the .223 round, you will prefer the SAR-2 for its flat shooting and better acuracy.

On the other hand, the SAR-1 is the clasic AK in the origional caliber.  It kicks a little more, but most women wouldn't complain about the recoil.  Ammo is cheap and plentiful.

Once you have shot both rifles you will realize they are so completely different in shooting charateristics you will want both.

My opionion go with the SAR-2 first, but you won't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 2:48:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I would say either get the Sar-1 or the Sar-3. Lets just say a few years down the road a law is passed that would end importation of ammo. I dont think you will be seeing  5.45 anymore. American companies make 7.62 ammo it is expensive but you will still beable to get it. .223 is still very very easy to get. That is the reason I got the SAR-1. Plus a 7.62 round will drop a deer if I decide to hunt deer with it up north in a really thick area.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 3:26:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I love my SAR-2 - its the only AK clone I own and very fun to shoot. However, if I was buying just one gun I'd either opt for a more common caliber - .223 in an AR or 7.62* 39mm in an AK. That or buy the SAR-2, get extra parts ( who knows where you'll get parts in the future given the uncertainty of guns laws), and stock up on ammo. by the case now. SAR-1 is probably your best bet if this is a long term investment where you might have to depend on commercial US ammo. Regular AK parts and mags abound more then the '74 versions.    
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 4:03:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get the SAR-2. Less kick. The bullet is one killer of a round (Even to vehicles, went through my floor twice and my gas tank!)  

OK, you started it, cough up this story!
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 4:42:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get the SAR-2. Less kick. The bullet is one killer of a round (Even to vehicles, went through my floor twice and my gas tank!)  

Ok, I guess I did bring up eh? How about this. I'll post the story after I scan some pics of the incident on monday evening, hows that sound?
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 5:18:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I went with the SAR-2 (after owning my share of 7.62 AKs over the years) and haven't looked back. I'm not worried about the mythical "imported ammo ban" 'cause if/when such a thing occurs the price of domestically produced military calibers (7.62x39, .223, etc) will increase greatly w/o cheap imports to hold the prices down. This, of course, assuming that by this time it's still legal to own anything that shoots a military caliber. Plus, if imported supplies of 5.45 are cut off you *will* see domestic supplies appear to satisfy the market (although it wouldn't be cheap). Get whichever AK caliber that best floats your boat and then stock up on mags/parts/ammo now while they're still cheap and plentiful. HTH, keep us posted...
Tomac
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#10]
M4, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I guess I did bring up eh? How about this. I'll post the story after I scan some pics of the incident on monday evening, hows that sound?

M4_Aiming_At_His_Car?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#12]
My vote is for the 5.45.

I used to have a 7.62X39 AK, but after shooting an SAR-2 I sold it to by a 5.45 AK. I was that impressed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:11:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Very cool, I think I am going to go with the 5.45.  I am very sure that I will get a 7.62 in the near future.  Thanks out to everyone that have relaid their feedback on the subject.  Ok now where are these pics and story??????????LOL
Later
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 10:56:12 PM EDT
[#14]
another vote for the 5.45, it's not as velocity sensitive as the 5.56, and still a good round.
ammo is not aseasy to find right now as 7.62, but it's gets better every day.
also, i've heard industry rumblings about some large quantities of 5.45 being released in the future, which will definately speed up the process like the grenada thing did with 7.62.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top