Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2002 2:36:20 AM EDT
I was over at the website for Valery's Gun Club, where I was reading up on the Abakan, AN-94.  I noticed this at the end of the article on the AN-94, which gives me hopes that the Russians are finally coming to their senses.

The latest news is that IZHMASH has just completed development of a new assault rifle, based on the prototype AS (PU-192), and chambered for the 7.62x 39 mm cartridge. The Abakan program is not over yet ! But this is a different story.

It appears that there will be an Abakan style rifle chambered for 7.62x39mm as well as 5.45mm.  No doubt the sale of AN-94 were limited by its obscure caliber. :D  It looks like the Russians are finally coming to their senses.

-SS
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 2:55:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Anymore info?

I don't see many export sales, too expensive.
Their own domestic use would be limited making these things worth a fortune on the black market. Start stocking up on vodka now.

I only know what I have read about this rifle in American Rifleman, wich meens somehwere between jack and shit as far as usefull info.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 3:30:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

if 5.45 were to vanish overnight, you would see campy running to buy .223 chambered ak's...not ones limited by the m-43 cartridge.

Sounds like somebody's got a bad case of bullet envy.  :D

-SS
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:53:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Hehe.  That's exactly the answer I would have expected from CAMPYBOB.  I'm not surprised by this move since some in the Russian military (mainly old-timers) prefer the 7.62 to the 5.45.  If you recall, Mikhail Kalashnikov was not please to hear about the military switching over to the 5.45.

I'm for neither caliber over the other, but the preference of the 7.62 over the lighter, smaller 5.45 is classic Russian military thinking.

Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The Russians will not go back to 7.62 X 39mm.

5.45 is a better round. It is more accurate and has superior wound ballistics. Even if that wasn't the case, 5.45mm is significantly cheaper (it was about 40% of the cost) and weighs less than half, allowing troops to carry more ammo.

If anything, the Russians will go to 5.56mm, as part of NATO standardization. The already produce AKs in this caliber, and it is nominally better that 5.45. I wonder how tough it would be to retrofit a 5.45 AK to .223? As a side note, the Colt guy at a recent armorer's course claimed the Russians were in negotiations with Colt for a contract on M16s and M4s, which I don't see happening when they make so many AKs, but is still interesting.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was over at the website for Valery's Gun Club, where I was reading up on the Abakan, AN-94.  I noticed this at the end of the article on the AN-94, which gives me hopes that the Russians are finally coming to their senses.

The latest news is that IZHMASH has just completed development of a new assault rifle, based on the prototype AS (PU-192), and chambered for the 7.62x 39 mm cartridge. The Abakan program is not over yet ! But this is a different story.

It appears that there will be an Abakan style rifle chambered for 7.62x39mm as well as 5.45mm.  No doubt the sale of AN-94 were limited by its obscure caliber. :D  It looks like the Russians are finally coming to their senses.
-SS

Are we talking about the AK-107/108 series with the special gas rod?

The Russians aren't going back to 7.62 any time soon. They may some day use .223, but not 7.62. 5.45 is here to stay.

themao

Got ice picks?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top