Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2002 3:35:16 AM EDT
First off, I'm a very conservative republican that tries to stay in the center. I believe that the founding fathers had pretty great ideas.

That being said, I am really pissed off that our elected officials have failed us. I believe that we have headed down a doomed road.

I see a "Gulf of Tonkin" here and I really wanted ADULT conversations coming from the congressmen and senators. I see a Pandoras Box being opened.

I feel that we are being drawn into a situation that benefits a few, but not the US.

I just keep asking myself "Who benefits from this situation?" and I don't like the answers I keep getting.

Anyone feel this way too?
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 4:27:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 5:48:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I too think Saddam should be removed and obliterated. That is not my major concern. But I would like to see the men that lead us do it in the right way.

It seems to me that whenever we go into the business of placing puppet leaders into power, we get burned. I mean, the US lead Saddam to believe that we wouldn't be concerned if he invaded Kuwait. Look how that played out.

Like I said, I have strong conservative opinions. I just do not like how this is looking to other countries. Bush and Cheney are oil men. Look how Haliburton (sp) profitted from the Kuwait ordeal. It looks again like Johnson's tin factories in N. Vietman.

I guess I just expected there to be civil adult conversations about who,what,when,where,and why we would move forces into Iraq.

Once one gets emotions into a situation, the thought process usually begins to fog and fade. Logical discourse almost becomes impossible.

I can see this as a situation that ends up getting us involved in something that we will suffer for for a long, long time.

About the best discussions that I have heard on this is from FOX, Hannity and Colmes. When you hear Gen. Hackworth's discourse, it makes you think.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 8:15:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Saddam was our ally, and why we turned against him I will never know. The Turks massacred far more Kurds than Saddam ever did (and that nerve gas is still a toss up between Iran and Iraq), and Saddam is the SOLE stabilizing force against Islamic fundamentalism. There is a reason why Osama Bin Laden was willing to fight jihad against Saddam for Saudi Arabia back in 1991. The point is, Saddam was never and still is not a threat to the US. I could care the shit less about Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, two oppressive governments run by robber barons.

This war is a sham. It has nothing to do with WMD, terrorism, "getting rid of the evil Saddam" or whatever else propaganda they feed us. This is about justifying our involvement in the Middle East, the "war on terror", making Israel happy, and granting Haliburton and Texaco access to Iraqi crude oil reserves. We'll invade Iraq, kill a bunch of people, and then people here in the US will not only pay for it financially, but we'll have more ragheads try to blow us up and fly planes into DC. If they do, I just hope they attack DC, NY or California....better yet, blow up the Mexicans running across our border.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I mean, the US lead Saddam to believe that we wouldn't be concerned if he invaded Kuwait. Look how that played out.

Personally I found this to be a piece of sheer foregn policy genius. It was obvious what Saddam's goal was and his tactics were well known. He is as predictable as he is evil.
We sold him obsolete weapons for his oil, lured him in and then used our own soon to be obsolete weapons to destroy his weapons, most of his military, and turn his country into a member of the 4th world.
The only mistake made in the entire conflict was not finishing him.

They are deserve what is coming to them. If we don't take control of this now then we will deserve what they give to us in 5-10 years.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Pissed?... YES

If Saddam needs to go, then it shouldn't take a war.  It should take an order and execution of a precise plan. Hours or days, not months or years.

I'm certain our technology and intelligence assets can do this without a massive invasion.

Link Posted: 10/18/2002 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top