Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/4/2002 6:12:09 PM EDT
I have a friend who is considering getting a SAR-3, but is on a very tight budget.  All my have AKs have been 7.62, but I know very little about .223 AKs.  I have a couple simple questions:

[1]  Will the GordonTechnologies replacement parts work in the SAR-3, or does the SAR-3 require FGC parts specific to the .223?

[2]  Does the SAR-3 even need replacement FCG parts in the first place?

[3]  What modifications are needed to get the Bulgarian waffles to funtion correctly in the SAR-3?

Any other SAR-3 advice you'd like to throw in would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The real short version. The SAR3 needs a hammer with correct geometry, which is at Red Star Arms. May as well get the whole FCG for $80 as it is mighty fine. Weiger mags and SAR3 seem made for each other, and are about the same cost as Bulgys. But other mags can work if you already have them (conditions apply).
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:59:56 PM EDT
[#2]
If your budget is really that tight then buy a SAR-1.  The SAR-1 will require no modifications and will use cheaper ammo and mags.  Having a great deal of experience with both rifles I do not believe that the SAR-1 is a bad choice.  In many ways I feel it is the superior rifle.  5.56mm really shines in an AR, but in an AK I don't see how it offers much/if any advantage.  So go with the original M43 round and you will be happy.

Oh to answer your questions.  Most SAR-3's do not require that the fire control parts be replaced.  If such is necessary then usually only the hammer needs to be replaced.  Unfortunately this screws up your parts count so you either need to replace it with an American hammer, or you need to replace the stock set with an American one.  The Bulgarian mags are not as good as Weiger mags. I strongly suggest using Weiger steel mags rather than Bulgarian ones.   Bulgarian mags can work if you grind away some of the polymer around the top of the mag.  But its kind of like using USA mags in an AR-15.  You can do it, but why bother?

Having owned a SAR-3 for 2.5 years I can honestly say that its a decent rifle.  But I still prefer the SAR-1 over it.

-SS
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 12:15:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info so far.  To clarify the situation, my friend is looking to purchase his first gun.  He wants an AK, but the guy at the shop is trying to sweet-talk him into buying an AR.  I know that he is on a very limited budget, and his wife is pregnant, so I was thinking that a SAR-3 might be a decent and economical compromise.  However, I have no experience with any AK other than a 7.62x39, so I am looking to you guys to try and determine how much will have to be spent in order to produce a satisfactory SAR-3 system.

Here are the thoughts I had:

SAR-3 ($350)
K-VAR U.S. polymer stock ($95)
2 Wieger mags ($50)
2 waffle mags ($40)

That comes to $535.  I was wondering if the SAR-3 trigger slap was going to be as bad as it is reputed to be on the SAR-1.  If so, then I would opt for a replacement trigger group, rather than trying to file on the existing one (he knows nothing about AKs, and I don't want the responsibility of filing it).  If there's any way to get by without purchasing an additional trigger group/part, that that would be best, since he is very strapped for cash.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/5/2002 4:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't really need another stock set either, so that saves money.
Since low recoil seems to be a trend here (AR interest as well), consider a SAR2 in 5.45x39. Buy cases of ammo at shows or by mail, and enjoy good used bakelite mags for only 1/3 the cost of .223 mags. And there is no engineering need to replace the hammer either. (SAR3 uses a Bulgarian bbl in the Romy AK74 receiver, it sits differently, hence the Century US parts count hammer that is the same as in the SAR2 does not swing perfectly and beats itself up.)

I really like my AR, but it not a better first rifle regardless of his budget. The AK can be used, abused, made to write bad checks, and still like you. The AR is much more picky about how it is maintained in order to run well.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 6:42:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I planned on replacing the FCG in my campyclone, but after the first trip top the range and a couple of hundred rounds there is no sign of trigger slap and the trigger itself is pretty good.

My SAR-1 needed the FCG group replaced after the first range trip.

Link Posted: 10/5/2002 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for your help everyone.  It looks like I'll be recommending the RedStarArms SAR-3 hammer.  It is reasonably priced ($29.99), and would not be as taxing on his budget as a complete FCG.

Campy-
Thanks for the tip on the Wiegers.  Last I checked they were $19 each.  That sale price is certainly a good deal.

RS39-
He want's the "high-tech" look, which is why he's considering the AR.  My recommendation is to get the AK and put the black or green synthetic stock as an affordable compromise.

I also made my recommendation because an AR is an ambitious first gun.  It has too many parts and is too high maintenance for a newbie like him.  I love my ARs, but an AK is a better and simpler first gun.

Thanks again everyone.

Link Posted: 10/5/2002 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]
There are options for the wood and black finish. Take off the wood, strip it with furniture finish remover so the new coating is less likely to chip, spray it with bedliner spray paint from an auto parts store. The pebble finish will vary with the distance of the can from the object, so practice beforehand for the desired finish. If he is going to junk the wood anyway, he may luck out with a finish he likes for just a few bucks. A trick I learned from FALfiles and have seen done once.
Happy shopping!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top