Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/4/2002 2:27:07 PM EDT
I ordered a PO 3.5 X 21 scope last week from Nightvisionweb.com for my 5.45. Well, Wednesday it arrived. Yesterday (Thursday) I came home to find that UPS had delivered another one here. I checked the invoices, and both had the same invoice number. I called the credit card company and found out that I was only charged for one. Obviously someone had shipped the first one then a second person did the same, not realizing that the first person had already done so. Anyway, I was very tempted to keep it, especially when a local guy offered me 80% of its value for something I had no money invested in. I dwelled on it all day at work and was tormented over it. It says in the Bible "What does it matter if a man gains the whole world, only to lose his soul?" I came home from work and called Dmitry at Nightvisionweb.com and told him what happened. He agreed that if I had kept it, no one there would have ever known. I figured if I kept it, I would be paid back for it. I mailed it back tonight and feel a lot better. So what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#1]
For what it is worth, I would have sent it back as well.

Link Posted: 10/4/2002 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have done the same, although not with a scope.  A few years ago I ordered a surround sound speaker set for my PC(not cheap at the time).  I received it on one day, and then received two more the next day(I was only charged for the first one).  I called to inform them, and they said they would send ups to pick the extras up at their expense.  The next day, ups came, and took the two extras, but delivered two more.  After going through about 8 of these sets I was upset.  Day after day of calling and telling them they send extras, and to pick them back up.

It bordered on harassment, but I would have felt horrible if I had kept any of the extras.  Also, their customer service didn't even seem to be nice or apologize.  They acted as if I had to be wrong because they don't make mistakes, even though I had their merchandise without ordering it or being charged.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
You did right. You will always know it.
Its not quite accurate that if you had kept it nobody would have known- YOU would have always known.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
M4,  You will be able to sleep good tonight knowing that you did the right thing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#6]
A few years ago I called a company and gave them my name and address to send me an info packet on a peticular computer I was interested in, a week later UPS delivered the actual computer, I told the UPS driver I never ordered it and to take it back, he wouldn't and told me to sign for it. I went away for a business trip for a week and got back and found out the computer company called my elderly mother and threatened her with all kinds of legal action and were basically harrassing her....I took the next call from the company and informed them I was keeping the computer because they had "bad manners", the lady on the phone went nuts and said they would ruin my credit. I got her to hang up by asking her to send me the paper I signed saying I agreed to buy the computer...I normally wouldn't keep something like that but they were fucking rude to my mom...F them!
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#7]
M4, Ya done right. As far as being "crazy", that's another matter.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#9]
You did the right thing.  You are one of the good guys.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Two stories to share.

1. When I was 12, I went with my Uncle to the hardware store.  We stopped by the gun counter and I bought a box of .22 shorts.  We went back to the house and I grabbed my rifle with the intention of trying out my new ammo on a few bushytails.  I opened the box and discovered that the shorts were hollow points, which were 27 cents more per box then solids.  I told my Uncle, and then said, "It looks like they made a mistake.  Too bad.".  My Uncle asked me if I wanted to go back to the store and exchange the ammo.  It was "an offer that I couldn't refuse", Don Corleone would have been proud! Off we drove.  

I walked back into the store feeling rather depressed because I had to give away my good fortune.  The grandfatherly gentleman who rang me up studied the situation for a few moments, set the box back on the counter, turned to the shelf, and placed a box of .22 short solids next to the box of hollowpoints, and told me to take both boxes and see which ones worked better in my rifle.

2. While stationed in Hawaii, my buddy RP and I went into Kanaohe for diner.  I found a wallet in the parkinglot of the restaurant, and it had 3 $1 bills in it along with a drivers license.  I took the wallet and gave it to the cashier, and we sat down to eat.  When we were finished we asked for the bill and we were told that the owner of the wallet had paid for our food.  I asked if the $3 covered the cost of the bill, and was told no.  But the 2 $100 bills that were hidden in the wallet did.

What comes around, goes around.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#11]
You did the right thing.

Mitch
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Yes, I would have also sent 1 back....

.....For a complete refund... hahahaha..
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yes, I would have also sent 1 back....

.....For a complete refund... hahahaha..

Thanks for the laugh!
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Good move, M4Madness!

I received a double order of Beretta hi-cap mags at my office when I had my FFL.
It was tempting to think about having them all to my little old self, but, I knew even as I thought those evil thoughts that I had to send back the extras.
I looked 'em all over and chose the ones I wanted to keep and sent the rest back.
The company didn't seem pleased either one way or the other, but, I knew I had maintained my integrity in the business.
Glad we both were 'honest'.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 7:11:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Many years ago when 17" monitors were new and cool I decided to get one. So I ordered direct from a manufacturer. It arrived with a bad keystone error and back then not all monitors had such adjustments. So I sent it back with me paying shipping. To make a long story short I went through 5 monitors shipping them all back with various problems. By this time I had a monitor I wanted to return, a monitor on it's way back and a few that I had returned. I was also dealing with sales and service with this company so I was dealing wioth two sets of people. I told the gal I was retruning the last monitor and wanted my money back and wanted a full refund. After about two months delay I got my refund from sales and service. After all the shipping charges I decided that I was not going to tell them. Screw em. I hope they are out of business.

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 12:30:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Had it been anything but gun related Id have kept it.  The one unusual thing I have found about most people whether buying/selling guns online or dealing with some of the better online stores for gun related parts/optics is that we gun nuts seem to help each other out.  The EE is full of deals and the E-tailers really go the extra mile for you.  I had a Bushy 14.5" NIB barrel that I paid $200 for and the price went up to $210.  I sold the thing for $200 to an AR15.com member even though the barrels cost more now and were on back order.  At some point I will get a deal back in return.  If we wont help each other out then who will?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#17]
You did the right thing. Now you will be able to look at the mirror every morning and get some sleep. God bless you.

BR
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:05:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Law actually says you could have kept it, but you are the one that has to live with yourself.  I have purchased from Nightvision and had to give them a call on a couple issues and found them to be quite helpful.  You did the right thing by sending it back.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:01:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Suppose you left a nice rifle at the range mistakenly and someone came along and found it. Now maybe you're the local rich guy and the guy who finds it is poor and hates your guts for foreclosing on grandma. Say further that he calls your home to inform you and your teenage brat with PMS is rude to him. Does he have a right to keep it? Not hardly IMO.
Even stealing from a rich corporation is still stealing. We ALL pay for it.

That being said I've still got about $700 worth of crap from RGUNS in a box in my closet. Bought it 4 or 5 years ago now and the prick wouldn't and still won't take it back. Credit card company sided with me and he's still pissedI don't think he's used to having people turn the tables on himWhat an asshole.
He sent my wife some really nasty letters, threatened me with lawsuits-some for libel, etc, etc. Never have used any of it. Just sits in my closet. My attorney tells me that I can use it, sell it, whatever. Says to tell him to go...well, you can imagine.
If you read this, asshole, you can have it all back for a small storage fee

Honesty is still the best policy.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top