Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2002 7:59:36 AM EDT
Seems every time I get to shoot an AK, I burn my fingers. Those things get hot and the front handguards are small. This is the only reason that I haven't bought one yet. Funny, I never hear about other people having this problem; am I doing something wrong or this this something that happens a lot and nobody talks about? (I certainly don't have this problem with the AR's longer front handguard, even on the shorty version). And no, my hands aren't abnormally large; just average sized.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to insult anyone.  By chance, you wouldn't happen to be related to ComputerGuy would you? j/k
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope. Not related to ComputerGuy. Should I be insulted?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe you should wear gloves on your non trigger hand when you rapid fire any rifle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:38:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Well... you must've picked Oops as a screenname for a reason, and I doubt it's just describing your experience with AK's.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Naw, no reason to feel insulted.  ComputerGuy is the resident klutz.  Hardly a week goes by with him wrecking his car, smashing a toe, getting stitches, that sort of thing.  Do a search on the topics started by him and you will see what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:50:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I could wear a glove . . . . like Michael Jackson. Or better yet a pot holder . . . . nah, seems kinda kludgey.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]
I am currently in R&D with a new product for accident prone gun owners.

Tactical potholders.  Available early next year at a gun store near you!

Link Posted: 9/22/2002 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Where do I sign up? Are they plaid . . . or do they flowers on 'em?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Shadowblade,  Maybee your next R&D project could be a water proof oven mitt sporting the Stars & Stripes.  

I'm sure you could make a fortune!
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 4:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]
If it's a "Tactical" Potholder , dosen't it have to be black?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if I can find a PREBAN (asbestos) potholder somewhere . . . . . .
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 4:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah . . . . WELDING GLOVES! . . . YEAH . . . That's the ticket!  Geez, longer hand guards might solve this problem; its the metal receiver on the back and the metal at the front of the short hand guards that gets me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I have melted a set of ATI hand guards on my MAK. I know what you are talking about. I had a friend bump-fire a whole 75 round drum through it then keep shooting.  I couldn't touch the rifle for an hour.

K-VAR has polymer heat shielded  front hand guards you can install quite easily.  The price isn't too bad, but it will look funny with the wood butt stock so you might just go with a whole new stock set.  They look nice, and feel better.  
They do cost almost half of what "the cheap commie blaster" does though.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmmm . . . I guess I'll just have to stick to ARs.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#16]
NO NO NO NO! DON'T MAKE THAT MISTAKE!

Here, if you want to get into the AK side of things, what you need to do is get a SAR-1 or SAR-2 and install a new AK-100 series stock set, or better yet, shell out the money for an AK-103 from AK-USA or a SA-M7 from Arsenal. The steel heat shield will solve your problems, but if you plan on emptying drum after drum, you better look into a RPK type rifle or a VEPR with a heavy barrel. Your M4 carbine would do the same thing as any AK after you rapid fire it.

themao

Got ice picks?
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Do the AK-100 series stock sets have longer front hand guards? Its the length that gets me burned.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Themao, I wouldn't know what you are talking about. I have never been able to rapid fire more than 12 rounds in my AR before the bolt seizes.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Not to hijack the thread, but have any of you smashed your pinky in the bolt?  I know I shouldn't hold the thing like that, but I was just messing around and somehow wound up griping the rear of the lower grip and part of the reciever and my finger got cought in the bolt on it's way back into battery.  I wasn't injured, but it seems pretty easy to do and it could have been worse, so I figure someone else has to have done it before.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but have any of you smashed your pinky in the bolt?  I know I shouldn't hold the thing like that, but I was just messing around and somehow wound up griping the rear of the lower grip and part of the reciever and my finger got cought in the bolt on it's way back into battery.  I wasn't injured, but it seems pretty easy to do and it could have been worse, so I figure someone else has to have done it before.

Dang!  Are you sure you're not related to ComputerGuy?!?!  Have you ever totaled your car while dodging a cat?  j/k  This is just too funny!
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Nope. I'm not related to him either.  Just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience because several here where I live have done the same thing.

BTW - I don't swerve for cats, or anything else that isn't a human or large enough to total the truck. I read the kitty thread - that's comedy!
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 4:08:30 AM EDT
[#22]
For blasting, I use a heavy leather work glove which is ok till the wood smokes. I like my odd Norinco Hunter because it has a wood handguard like a VEPR. Practice also builds discipline with hand placement to avoid those metal spots on the end.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top