Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/20/2002 6:40:07 AM EDT
I know this isn't the best project to take on. I have also heard the usual lines (not worth it, easier to buy a SAR1, etc.), but this isn't my gun and the owner wants me to do a pistol grip and folder at any price. I need to know my options.  The only thing I can find is the romy folder stock, but it would leave that ugly gap at the bottom.  Is there some sort of gap filler, or a kit that converts it back from bunghole?  Anybody ever do this? Any pictures?  The legality of the folder is not an issue either, we'll tack it open until the sunset.

Thanks for any insight!
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 6:57:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Try www.riflestocks.com

I think you're going to have a little difficulty getting a folder to fit a MAK-90. The dimensions are a little different from the Euro's.
FWIW, It is illegal to put a folder on any MAK unless permanently fixed in extended position. And that is assuming that you have the correct number of US parts added. Ask us if you are not sure.

By gap, do you mean in the back lower portion of the receiver in front of the buttstock? There is a gap filler you can get. I think FAC has them but not sure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#2]
www.riflestocks.com will have blocks and folders that will work.

Of course the real question is why you would post on a public message board that you are willing violate Federal Law by building an unlawful "assault weapon."  

Is this gentleman a LEO and planning on having you stamp the reciever accordingly?

Or do you believe that a MAK-90 is a preban (it's not, anything marked MAK-90, NHM-91, etc., is post-89 import ban and can't be configured as an assault weapon under the 94 ban).

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not call you a
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:13:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I've been there before. Thanks though.  All I could find there was a real cool folding stock, a universal folder that will leave an ugly gap, and maybe the slant adapter I need - but I'm not sure.  On products page 2, which adapter would I need? I think it's the one on the right.  If there are no other options, I think I'm going this route.

And about building an unlawful assault weapon - I thought that if I tack the folder open it would be legal - same as any other nonfolder AK wire type stock.  Or do you mean unlawful as in a pistol grip on a MAK is illegal? Please clarify.  BTW - I'm guessing that's a troll, and you can take that back because it's more of an ignorance of the law thing.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:22:14 AM EDT
[#4]
www.rpbusa.comis another alternative. For a fixed folder there's appears sturdy and "cool". It's the one I'd choose were I to undertake the project. Once again, though, not sure whow well this will fit Chicom.

Pics would be helpful to understand what you are talking about. Otherwise you could ask ACE which rec block to use for your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 7:47:20 AM EDT
[#5]

That's my milled receiver MAK-90 with the Ace stock/pistol grip parts set.

It includes all of the necessary parts (remember it's not just a matter of putting on a US stock, you need enough parts to mo longer qualify as an import).

Basically you need to swap out the stock, pistol grip, handguards, and FCG in order to have enough US parts to be legal in this configuration.

Guess you're not trolling. Asking before doing is always a good idea.

Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the picture and links!  I guess I should have been more speciffic - the gun in question is stamped (can't remember exact model right now), but on the ACE site I think the block furthest to the right will fit (will confirm before ordering with ACE). I'll drop in the folder buttstock welded by me in the open position, new FCG and furniture (as required by law), along with a US muzzle break (that's what he wants), and I think it'll be good to go.  That solid folder lookalike thing might fit the bill, but I didn't see one for a stamped angle cut MAK90.

Now that I think that's ironed out, there is another topic brought up by the owner of this gun.  He wants an odd recoil spring assembly. He said that in this setup it mounts just like the normal spring, but this one is in a metal tube and you can't see the spring. Looks like a slender shock absorber for your vehicle.  He also said that it would be hungarian, or possibly bulgarian - but either way he's interested in having one.  So I've got to ask - do you know where I can find one?  It's a friend's gun - not a customer or something. I'm just helping him out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Try www.k-varcorp.comThey're the only ones i can think of who might have something like that.
As for FCG, I highly rec the RSA group. If you don't get it you will eventually buy one anyway so do it right the first time.

For my MAKs there is to much metal on the selector yoke for RSA FCG to fit. Get a dremel and take off a little where the disconnector obstructs its movement. Make sure not to cut off too much and especially not to cut off metal where safety obstructs trigger. You may have to do a little work in this area as well though--just follow instructions that come with the FCG.

Handguards may require a little work to fit on the chicoms a well-depends on what you get. Once again a dremel is very handy and you'll need some files. Dimensions are frequently a little different. You can ask here and myself or others can help if you need.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw in his very first unedited post that he was talking of putting a folder on which was in a fixed open position.  He just wasn't clear enough for those who automatically assume someone is mentioning an illegal conversion.

I think the only solid buffer spring assembly is the type I have put on my AK's which you can get at global trades or k-var.  It is a two part piston type tube and the spring is visible but it is different then the SAR1 or Mak-90 recoil spring.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top